Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody here, other than me, tried any amplified audio set-ups on your Mean Streak? When I first bought my MS, I put a Rumble Roads set-up on the bike and kept it on a few months. Motorcycle Speakers: The Original Rumble Road Premium Kits
They worked well enough below 65mph w/o a shield but struggled above that. I had some interference issues but was able to correct with a filter and direct wiring. They didn't look too awful bad but the MHI product wiring is pretty "thick" with the plastic tubing to cover the wiring. Now they have a new version that ups the wattage/gain input, so maybe some shieldless audio is possibe (I know that the true stereo sound is drowned out at higher speeds). Motorcycle Speakers: The Original Rumble Road Ultra Kits but still uses the same wiring/install set-up.
Now what is intriguing me are these... Küryakyn
These are smaller in size, 3" vs 4" (I know can effect sound) but the clamps are nicer (and not the grounding point), the wiring is much cleaner (prewired with no slip over covering), direct wiring to the battery for + - connection along with filters built in, and the on/off switch and volume controls are directly built in to the left speaker. These may not look too gaudy installed. Street prices for both the Kuryakyn and MHI Ultras are about $295.
I do listen to my MP3 player via helmet speakers but I hate fumbling for volume controls (although I do have an in-line control) and I always can feel the speakers in my helmet. With two long trips on tap this year (NC for about 2500 miles) and a Lake Superior circuit (1600 miles) some tunes/radio would be nice. I think I'd lean to the Kury's due to aesthetics/convenience but I have never heard them before. Has anyone here had a chance to see or hear these? I know other audio products exist such as Uniq and Cycle Sounds but I don't want to mess with amp placement, etc. I guess that's another area where the Kuryakyns excell. Input ?? Troop

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
The Kuryakyn Sound of Chrome Speakers absolutely suck monkey butt. I tested them out at a few bike nights. They cannot go too loud and when they to get loud, the sound is terrible. You can tell that the speaker is working REALLY hard to get the sound out. I don't know why anything like those would ever make it into the market, especially with such a powerful name behind it.

I really, really, really wanted the Kuryakyn Chrome speakers because they look incredible, but the sound is horrible. :sad: I was sad when I experienced the suckiness of Kuryakyn speakers.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Kuryakyn Sound of Chrome Speakers absolutely suck monkey butt. I tested them out at a few bike nights. They cannot go too loud and when they to get loud, the sound is terrible. You can tell that the speaker is working REALLY hard to get the sound out. I don't know why anything like those would ever make it into the market, especially with such a powerful name behind it.

I really, really, really wanted the Kuryakyn Chrome speakers because they look incredible, but the sound is horrible. :sad: I was sad when I experienced the suckiness of Kuryakyn speakers.
Nice to hear(or not). Thx... Troop

1 - 3 of 3 Posts