Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a bit of tech help here.

I was recently given a early model KV100
2 stroke. The bike is decient condition for its age.
and my wife told me I should restore it, well before I
go through all the motions of restoration, I'm trying to get it
to run. I've got good fire ( tested the coil ) and Fuel.
But I got no start.. Anyone got words of wisdom to get this
beast from the past back on its feet ? ( BTW its a project for my son so its one of those things that the wife wants me to complete in fairly quick manner as my son is almost old enough to ride it. )

Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
3 sided triangle

Fire, fuel, compression. You tested the coil.
1. Are you getting fire to the plug? Do it in the dark and make sure you ground it to the frame or somehow, like with an aligator clip. You could be shorting out before the plug and at night you should see where. Sometimes a safety switch will fail and short so that you have no fire...better to work this way an dhave no fire than to not work...especially if you need it to work...
2. Fuel should be fresh and you should smell it on the plug, or at least out the exhaust. Crank it over without the plug. making sure it is grounded so that you don't wipe out the coil...then smell for gas...no gas smell, check carb and lines to carb...and you could even take a straw and put a very small amount of gas into the cylinder, install the plug and kick it over to see if it will ignite and run momentarily...a gas problem if it does...2 stroke are you using the proper amount of 2 stroke oil?
3. Do you have compression, within the specs, enough to make it run...

Without seeing the bike or hearing it I'd bet it is a firing problem...Is the exhaust clear? Bees, like we have in Kansas like to build nests (mud-dobbers) in pipes and can completely close off a muffler...Also check the airbox for the same thing... DO NOT USE Starting Fluid as it is way to harsh on the motor and will clean the cylinder walls of any oil and it's not a good thing to use...STAY in touch and let us know what you find...start with disconnecting the safety switch...if you have no fire to the plug itself...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts