Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the forum and new to kawasaki bikes in general but I recently picked up this 1999 kvf 300 that supposedly was having carb issues. I noticed when i first got the bike the crank case was filled with fuel/ oil. Ive replaced the carb but it is still filling the base with fuel. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue? Im thinking it may be the petcock but i would like your imput. Thanks guys

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Fuel tap could be suspect and it could be the carb float valve as well , it should seal to stop fuel flow ,but it might be overwhelmed by a bad Petcock, do you have a Workshop manual

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
I agree with Ropp. This is a common problem on older vehicles. The root cause is a stuck float or bad float valve. Ordinarily if your KVF has a vacuum operated petcock, this should prevent the carb overflow but it sounds like you either don't have a vacuum operated petcock or you have one but it is malfunctioning. Both need to be fixed.

The odd thing is that your new carb did not fix anything. Was the carb used or new? If the tank has dirt in it, the dirt could have jammed the float valve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with Ropp. This is a common problem on older vehicles. The root cause is a stuck float or bad float valve. Ordinarily if your KVF has a vacuum operated petcock, this should prevent the carb overflow but it sounds like you either don't have a vacuum operated petcock or you have one but it is malfunctioning. Both need to be fixed.

The odd thing is that your new carb did not fix anything. Was the carb used or new? If the tank has dirt in it, the dirt could have jammed the float valve.
I put fresh fuel in it, brand new carb i forgot to mention the bike is running flawlessly but still filling the base. I don’t believe it has a vacuum operated petcock though it may. (Has two lines coming from fuel tank into petcock and one line from petcock to carb) not sure if one of those lines from the tank is a vacuum

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
Fresh fuel is good but will do nothing to remove the rust or dirt that may be the source of your troubles. A vehicle with a stuck float or float valve can operate normally because the engine's demand for fuel exceeds the amount that would otherwise leak. However when the engine is turned off the flow of fuel continues and this will end up in the base of the engine with very harmful effects.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your advice, i believe im going to take apart the petcock and clean it and clean the new carb, hopefully it helps

·
Super Moderator
1,187 Posts
Understood. The leakage might be only a few drops of gasoline per minute. Make sure the float can move freely and check the float level also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts