Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically when i select a gear it takes a few seconds of revs building to make the machine move, its as if its still in neutral at first then once revs build it will move off,also when i have it in Low and i am making a decent down a steep hill unless i keep the revs up slightly it acts like its in neutral and will coast down the hill.

Any ideas?

also when on a tarmac road it does seem to grab with the camber of the road and pull alot, does not seem to be any play in bushes e.t.c, my old trx300,and my mates klf300,foreman400 and trx350 dont do this so i can only imagine its ball joints e.t.c.?

*edit* also it can be a wee bit tight to get into gears, High,low reverse

cheers!

Iain

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
The KVF 400 is equipped with a drive and driven converter with a drive belt. If any of those components are no longer within specifications they will not properly engage, and can actually be dangerous to use.

You may have some difficulty obtaining the driven converter parts as I do not believe that Kawasaki still lists them, but a good dealer like the site sponsor can get you what you need once you know the source of the trouble.

This does require the repair manual to check specifications and set up the torque converter, so make sure you start there.

As far as the front following ruts, high ridges, etc., that is usually either the ball joints, the lower a-frame bushings, or the struts are worn out. All those parts are still available.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Someone had shimmed by driven clutch out 3mm. I was enough to cause it to do the things you are describing. I had enough belt deflection that I could touch the belt together between the two clutches (not good at all). I replaced my stock drive clutch with a comet unit (which I don't recommend) replcaed the worn belt and de-shimmed the driven clutch and lubed it up while I was in there. Now the belt has a nice happy 30mm deflection and the entire clutching system pulls like it's supposed to. Also, my quad was hard to change gears before and is MUCH easier now because the belt has the proper amount of tension on it.

One thing you might want to check with the pulling on asphalt is your swing arm bearings. Grab the rear rack and shove the quad side-to-side. If the rear tires stay put but the quad shifts, replace those swing-arm bearings. The front tires direction is referenced from a true-tracking rear end. If the read end is sliding around under you the quad will pull.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.