Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new project. A mostly intact kw-400 triple. The center cylinder is shot and the center muffler is rusted out. The other two cylinders and pipes look good, but a squirrel filled the pipes with pecans.

Anybody know a good source for parts, or can a muffler be repaired when it is rusted through?

Attachments

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
First off, Welcome to the forum!:sgrin: Yes that pipe can be repaired as long as most of the pipes metal is still intact. Do you know anybody that is proficient in TIG or gas welding stainless steel exhaust systems? Obviously those pipes are not stainless, but I would patch and repair them with stainless so that polishing will restore what the rust has eaten. Thats the route I would use until I located a solid replacement. That bike is in extremely good shape for its age and a viable replacement is going to be hard to find if at all. Those 2-strokes need those(expansion chamber) pipes to run correctly. Patching them with 16ga. stainless sheet metal would be the most economical fix to an other wise very expensive replacement!A MIG welder using stainless wire with argon gas would work nicely! Judging from the pics, I could repair that pipe for two to three hundred dollars not including shipping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK thanks for the info. I do have a very good sheet metal shop in mind that specializes in stainless steel hoods for restaurants. Do you know if these pipes come with inserts or baffles that are replaceable?

I was worried that the pipes would be very expensive as aftermarkets... I saw one company in the UK offering custom aftermarket pipes for this bike at 600 pounds or about $1000 for all three, and didn't find much elso on Google, Ebay, Craig's, etc.

thanks again for the advice.:smile:

·
TRIPLE NUT
240 Posts
try ebay..sometimes the pipes can be found reasonably..its the h2 750 stuff thats big bucks..if your interested in aftermarket chambers i know a guy in canada that wiil make a chamber kit..cones come cut and rolled.just need welded for about $400..shoot me a pm if interested..or try ebay..
the price on the smaller triple parts arent too bad if you are patient

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.