Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings

Just brought a kx 100, bin re built, new back tire, swinging arm bearings , handelbars, seat, plastics n cables. Seems to go ok. but it could go better. It is splutering at the top end, took it out on the strate and the top speed felt tike a standard 50. Not much fun. Being a bit of a novice macanic I would apreciate any tips from you lot who know stuff about bikes. Like any kx 100 riders who know how they should run. It is a 1991 purple n white. Purpel ? arnt they supos to be green ? TNX

·
Registered
895 Posts
I know the early KMX's where red+black and the and some minibikes were red, but I have never heard of a purple and white KX, my bet is it's been repainted to hide something :eek:

·
Registered
731 Posts
i know that i can buy replacement plastics from my local shop for my kx250 in green,white,purple,black and yellow

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
happy New Year n all that

I know the early KMX's where red+black and the and some minibikes were red, but I have never heard of a purple and white KX, my bet is it's been repainted to hide something :eek:

thx yes very strange, probably the air mix not right causing splutering will get it sorted new year next

Have fun

·
Registered
175 Posts
If it's dying out on the top end, I'm willing to bet it's the reeds. My son races a 100 and I've been in and out of his bike so many times I can do it blindfolded.

1st, check the plug
2. check the reeds.
3. make sure mixture is right
4. remove and clean the powervalve assembly.
5. put it all back together and ride the hell out of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thx
how fast do these little bikes go when runnung well. Top speed, acceleration ect. So i know what im aiming for, Cheers !
My kx seems to move ok powerband good , but seems all a lot of noise and not much speed ?
Should they rev like a trooper and reseble anything like a 125 or 250 in terms of performance and general motorcrossing grin factor : ) or not : (
Not having riden off road for about 17 years this is my first off roader except for a yamaha XT 125 rat bike and a Susuki TS 50 which dont realy count.

Cheers !

·
Registered
175 Posts
Stock, the 100 will pull pretty good as long as it is in good working order. Yours is a 91 and I don't believe it had the KIPS power valve system yet. I think that came in 98 on the 100's and up.

In 91 I was already out of the bike world for 3 years and actually in Iraq at that time. Didn't get back to the bike world till about 3 years ago.

But an after market pipe, silencer and a good set of reeds will wake up any bike. Providing your top end is solid.

As far as power & speed. It all depends on your size/weight. I'm about 165 and my sons pulls hard and the fronts rides off the ground through 3rd gear. But his is an 2006 and has a Bill's pipe, PC shorty silencer, V-Force block and reeds, Hotrods crank w/ hc piston. He weighs about 95lbs runs up on he back tires of piped 125's on the drag. But just can't get past them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had a stock 95' kx100 and when i got it running right it had plenty of power low, mid, top...it pulled wheelies with me thru 3rd gear and i'm about 175 lbs i was surprised about how quick and powerful the little 100cc was.

Mine just had the ported cylinder (no exhaust power valve) and it didn't need it. I'm not sure why the manufacturers didn't just keep it simple with the ported cylinder. I took it to a local track on a practice day and none of the newer model 85cc with the power valves could even come close to the power of my stock 95 kx100 and they only weighed 90 to 100 lbs...i haven't ridden a newer 2 stroke with the power valve when i get my 93 kx125 going i'll see what the difference is. It has primary and secondary exhaust valves...

You said ("My kx seems to move ok powerband good , but seems all a lot of noise and not much speed ?") sounds like your clutch may not be working right and all of that powers not transferring to the rear wheel...if it's running right the kx100 can bring a smile to any mx'ers face :p

·
Registered
175 Posts
2stroke,
Good catch on the clucth, I didn't think of that.
But yea, if it revving to all hell, and not going anywhere. might wanna check the plates.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tnx all

Think i'm going to sort it as best i can and sell it on. look for a 250 or bigger 2 stroke. Any suggestions ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts