Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the details. 1992 Kx 125

I bought this bike last summer. There was a little soot around the exhaust on the fender and swing arm. I rode the bike fine last year and this year. The carb was leaking gas like a sieve so I rebuilt it and it ran fine.

It sat over the winter. Two days ago a went into the shed and the tried to start in up. It took a couple more kicks than I expected but it started up. I gave it a few revs and shut it down and walked up(I wasn't planning on riding).

Yesterday I went into the shed I saw the the back wall has oil all over it. It was coated.

Today I took it for a ride. It ran fine, but there is a ton of oil on the swing arm and exhaust.

What should I be looking for here?

·
Knows more than he needs
190 Posts
probly need to re-pack your exhaust. or maybe its running really rich. what premix ratio are you running?

·
Registered
35 Posts
its not only your pre mix ratio, i mean almost all two stroke bikes run oil out the tail pipe almost all of them drip out, thaty just means your setting is rich. just run your bike 32:1 or 40:1 and maybe drop your needle in your carb, that will help with the oil leaking, but trust me its not a problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi i have a simmler problem on my kx80 1997 model,im not to sure what to do ,it starts fine runs for a bit,then it just bogs out,and wont start .i took the plug out and its black with oil.exhaust leaks a black oil.i clean the plug ,put it back in then its fine again for a little while.......can anyone tell me how i ajust the mixture screw on the carb,and which one is it,would running my fmf fatty pipe and kn filter make it run rich....thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oh that's easy your bike is obviously running rich. On your carb keep your pilot airscrew at around 1.5 turns. going in will richer the jetting and going out will make it lean. Don't go over 2.5 turns no matter what. This will effect your bikes jetting only for the low rpms. Now you are going to have to change up the jetting most likely if this doesn't help. But what I would do first is lower your needle. When you take apart the top cap of your carb where the throttle cable is coming out you will see the slide. In the center of the slide emitting from the bottom is the needle. Now to lower this you need to disconnect your throttle cable then unscrew the cap that holds in the needle. This is on top of the slide. It is I believe a 6mm for your 80. now once you take out the needle you will see different grooves their around six of them. Take the needle clip off and be careful not to loose it. You lower the needle by raising the clip. Start out by raising it one move see how it runs and then go more. This is all trial and error. If this doesn't work send me a message and I will tell you how to re jet

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks for the tips vic ,i will try lower the needle ,like you suggested and let you know if it sorts it out
thanks again toby:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not trying to thread jack, but when leaning out at idle you want a smaller pilot jet, correct? I have an old '84 KDX200 with no pilot screw, so from what I have read all I can do it change the jet.

BTW - KXTODY. I lowered my needle 2 days. Very easy to do and it really helped with 1/4 to 1/2 throttle response and smoking.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's no problem, let me know if it works for you. And with the kdx200 if it doesnt have an pilot air screw I suppose that is the only thing you can do, change the pilot jet. But I have never heard of a bike not having an air screw, check under the carb or I have heard of idle screws being the choke pull. Maybe yours is their it would be very weird for the bike to be without one

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi vic toby here,sorry for the late reply ,been really busy,i lowered the needle in the carb like you said,it was set on the 4th notch up,but when i put it all back together the bike just revs up,as it looks like the carb is to far open.......am i doing something wrong????sorry to be a pest,but im just learning/..also ive noticed one of my fork seals are leaking are these hard to replace,and do you have any tip on how i should go about it...and what oil to buy for them etc...many thanks kxtoby

·
Registered
35 Posts
One thing that could be wrong is your throttle cable is improperly routed or to tight. make sure when you turn your handle bars the rpms dont change. and before you start the bike just see if you can here the slide hit the base of the carb when you let off from twisting the throttle. it makes a cool clunk sound im sure your familiar with. if thats not the case its the jetting. You can also go to procircuit.com and see what the stock and aftermarket exhaust jet settings are for your bike. their is a jetting chart for pretty much every bike ever and it will tell you what jets to use. Im not with you so im not 100% sure but jetting is most likely your problem. As for fork seals it is a very easy task. Its just a little messy and your going to need a few tools, most important of which is a fork seal driver. Watch this video YouTube - Change motorcycle fork seals part 1 (of 2) cartridge type it will tell you every thing

·
Registered
1 Posts
its not only your pre mix ratio, i mean almost all two stroke bikes run oil out the tail pipe almost all of them drip out, thaty just means your setting is rich. just run your bike 32:1 or 40:1 and maybe drop your needle in your carb, that will help with the oil leaking, but trust me its not a problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is the details. 1992 Kx 125

I bought this bike last summer. There was a little soot around the exhaust on the fender and swing arm. I rode the bike fine last year and this year. The carb was leaking gas like a sieve so I rebuilt it and it ran fine.

It sat over the winter. Two days ago a went into the shed and the tried to start in up. It took a couple more kicks than I expected but it started up. I gave it a few revs and shut it down and walked up(I wasn't planning on riding).

Yesterday I went into the shed I saw the the back wall has oil all over it. It was coated.

Today I took it for a ride. It ran fine, but there is a ton of oil on the swing arm and exhaust.

What should I be looking for here?
to be honest i just looked at a bike that was doing the same it was not just dripping out but when revved with you hand right by the exhaust opening it would coat your palm with oil from the trans case which means you may need to crack your cases and replace the crankcase to trans case gasket. Try starting the bike up and rev it with your hand by the exhaust opening does it get oil all over your hand? if so its more then just carb settings,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts