Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 KX 250. I've owned and rode the bike regularly for over 6 months and it's ran great. Recently it's started surging on deceleration when it as operating temperature. It continues to runs great until it warms up. I have done nothing different with fuel or mixture. have a clean air filter and a new plug. It feels like an ignition problem to me, but could be carburation also. I've had the carb set to factory settings and it runs super until it gets warm and I'm coming down from a long to medium acceleration. It has a fuel solenoid in the carb, but I'm not sure if this could cause the problem. I can't afford to fix by guess, would appreciate any assistance in troubleshooting this problem.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Welcome, Welcome kxrider!

Unfortunately I'm not going to be of any help with your question because I'm not a mechanic, but you should have an answer shortly. QKENUf4U, Ispeed, alot of these guys really know their stuff and will catch this soon. They all help if they can! We all have a great time hangin' around the forum, and are glad to have ya with us! Hope you stick around!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I need a little more info....you say it surges on decel...what about on accel?
If it runs o.k. on accel but not decel.....I would say you either have a plugged pilot jet or a plugged carb vent tube. Also, what kind of fuel are you using? Some states use a oxygenated fuel for winter for emissions which makes your bike run lean and hot and many bikes will surge when using such crummy fuel. Again, need more info to be more helpful. The fuel selonoid is for the power jet circuit and won't effect decelleration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No problems on accel and no problems whatseover until it's been at operating temp for awhile. I live in hawaii and have ran the same fuel/oil (hi-test pump) the entire time... even before it started this problem. So I have sorta ruled that out. I've taken the vent tubes off and cleaned them, but have not cleaned the carb pilot jet. Sounds like a good place to start and Iwill double check the vent tubes as well. It originally started this problems on a long trail ride after much, much mud. I cleaned the drain tubes and did a normal cleaning, plug, and air filter maintenance. It got better for a couple short rides, but now has resurfaced and seems to be getting worse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts