Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance for your help. I have a 2000 KX250 that I completely restored. The one time I rode it prior to restoration, I noticed it was difficult to shift gears.

I split the case and everything seemed fine to the naked eye with the shift forks, shift drum and gears. I got the motor back together and it runs great. However, I still notice that the bike has a sticky shifter. Sticky as in sometimes (w/o the motor running) it will make it through the entire shift pattern, sometimes it will get stuck (stuck as in the shift guide (the lever with the cylinder that rides on the clutch side of the shift drum) will stop in the middle of the next latch on the shift drum.

I am at a crossroads. I decided to upgrade the clutch, so I have the clutch cover off and the entire clutch removed. I may be paranoid, but I would hate to finalize this project and find out that I have a shift issue. If I need to re-split the case, I would rather do it now! I have a lot of money and time into this bike, and I want it right when I take it out the first time!

So my question...Is it normal for the shift guide to get caught in between the shift drum latches w/o the bike moving? If not, what do you think is the most likely problem?

Thank you!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think you have a spring in there and it should have some tension. I dont think you have any issues with you gears. If any rebuilding might be necessary it might be there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
IN short Yes, You do to turn either the countersprocket or use the kicker to rotate the trans while you click through the gears and verify they are working.
Think about how this works, the gears slide back and forth on the shafts and the dogs have to slide and lock into the next gearset, they have to be moving to do it smoothly.
It will be kind of clunky, however you should be able to shift through the entire pattern.
What you could do is polish the external shift mechanism (the two flat plates that move the shift drum) and all the bearing surfaces connected to the whole process.
One friend of mine actually polished the entire tranny. Gears, shafts, the whole mary ann. He claims his bike would shift like Butta. There are also some hi-tech coatings you could use, but how fast can you afford to go?
( not trying to be a wise guy, but I don't know how much you know...ya know? :wink: )

Tuck\o/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I have been traveling for work, so I havent had a chance to revisit the project. Friar-Tuck...your explanation makes sense. If I move the transmission shaft, it always clicks into gear. Therefore, I am assuming that once the bike is moving, it should shift fine. I actually replaced all of the bearings in the crankcase, so that should not be an issue. I also changed the shift mechanism in case the spring lost integrity. I am a few days away from having it back together...I think I should be fine. Again, my anxiety comes from what I perceived to be a shift issue when I rode it last, so just checking my work! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bike assembled and works great. Amazing what a new bottom end, top end, Boyensen Reed kit and clutch kit will do. The bike is like new.Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Shoot Brotha',
It was all You! You may want to shorten the first oil change interval to clean out anything from the re-build. Glad to hear the bike is running well and you are happy with it.
Tuck\o/

·
Registered
108 Posts
Had a check Nathan, but it seems the 88-89 are out of production now, but doesnt mean another maker wont fit , but which one , Ebay second hand is your first stop though, and welcome to the forum

·
Super Moderator
1,445 Posts
Your 89 KX250 shifter shaft is also used by the following KX250 models. This might help you with an Ebay search.

·
Super Moderator
1,445 Posts
Clutch spring torque is 82 inch-pounds.

Did you check spring free length? The uncompressed spring should measure no shorter than 31.6mm. If they are shorter, then they are beyond the service limit and should be replaced (always as a set).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts