Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a problem a few weeks back where my bike would just want to pull even after i pulled the clutch lever in when coming to a stop.

So i started to adjust it, thinking it wasnt engaging enough....well then i lost ALL clutch.

Thought i would just replace it all.....so i got a new basket, hub, plates,springs.

Well assembled it all and when i start it in NEUTRAL and then put the clutch lever in and go to kick it in to gear it cuts out IMMEDIATLY. (thats why i replaced all these parts in the 1st place)
Seems like i have no clutch at all.
But i tested a few things and you can see the basket tighten up and such.

anyone know what the problem is? i heard maybe the plates are sticking.

·
Tree Magnet
393 Posts
unfortunately, you didn't diagnose the problem before you replaced everything. It may very well be that your new plates are sticking (you have to soak the fibers in oil), and that is was dragging before due to a notched basket or other problem.
or you still have the same problem. Check your cable play. Also make sure you got everything back together in the right order. the clearances are essential - yuo can't have a washer in the wrong place.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well originally i had taken the bike to the Kawasaki dealership and they said it was the clutch basket....but they couldnt garantee it. $1300 later
the basket was notch and had looked to have been grinded so i just bought new stuff.

But ORIGINALLY this all stemmed from me trying to adjust the cable....then i lost all clutch....is there 2 types of adjustments to the cable? this is what i heard?

but everything is put back together in order....i did soak the fiber plates in oil prior to install....as for the cable play...i have adjust that thing quite a few times now and the same thing....anything else come to mind????

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok heres an update.... i have once again tried adjusting the cable..till it was pretty stiff to engage...
When the bike is running and i pull the clutch lever, it quiets down as if it is working and when i let go its loud again.
i have it off of the ground and even with no force on the wheels there seems to be no clutch....but like i said, it sounds as if it is engaging

any help would be appreciated :)

·
Tree Magnet
393 Posts
adust the cable play so that you can fit a nickle between the lever and perch before you feel tension.
It sounds like your cable is too loose or stretched and isn't properly disengaging the clutch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
which adjuster do i use? i have one at the perch and 1 about 6 inches away from the perch. do they both do the same?
also when the clutch lever is pulled how much play should i have in between the plates?
i have the clutch cover off and the plates are loose when the clutch lever is pulled.

·
Tree Magnet
393 Posts
Use the perch adjuster until you can no longer adjust to the usable range, then use the cable adjuster.

HOWEVER, if with the clutch cover off, you can pull the lever and the plates are loose enough to rattle, then you have an assembly problem - not dragging plates.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I used a torque wrench on the spring bolts and torqued them to about 5 ft lbs which seemed to be plenty tight. So, like dmstarr said on my clutch post you would probably break the spring bolt before over tightening them. It sounds like you may not have tightened the spring bolts tight enough since your plates are loose or you have an assembly problem...

Did you use a service manual for your bike when you put the new clutch in?

My clutch feels normal now that i've connected it to the cable...i haven't tested with the bike running yet. Here's a pic of my clutch adjustment it will probably need a little tweaking once the bike is running but should be close

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i did use a manual. My plates arent loose.....until i pull the clutch lever....which is normal correct? or are the supposed to be TIGHT when the clutch lever is pulled?

·
Registered
357 Posts
My plates arent loose.....until i pull the clutch lever....which is normal correct? or are the supposed to be TIGHT when the clutch lever is pulled?
I'm not sure if that's normal or not...i didn't look at plates while the cover was off after i connected the cable the clutch felt normal so i moved on. This was the 1st time that i took a clutch apart and put it back in. I did mine because i needed to soak the plates in oil since the motor that i did some rebuilding on hadn't been used in a while.

If i were you i would probably take the clutch back out lay all the parts out and take your time to make sure everything is fitted back the way it's suppose to be look at the parts diagram as you follow the steps to put it back together...since you have a new clutch housing and kit it seems like somethings not right with the assembly especially since you've tried adjusting the cable

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure if that's normal or not...i didn't look at plates while the cover was off after i connected the cable the clutch felt normal so i moved on. This was the 1st time that i took a clutch apart and put it back in. I did mine because i needed to soak the plates in oil since the motor that i did some rebuilding on hadn't been used in a while.

If i were you i would probably take the clutch back out lay all the parts out and take your time to make sure everything is fitted back the way it's suppose to be look at the parts diagram as you follow the steps to put it back together...since you have a new clutch housing and kit it seems like somethings not right with the assembly especially since you've tried adjusting the cable
well i have just finished tearing it all back out and re-installing it. Everything fits like a glove the way it should. I followed the Kawi manual and another site online step by step...just no **** clutch...at all. :mad:

·
Registered
357 Posts
I can see how that would be frustrating...it sucks when you feel like you've done everything right and it still doesn't work! What model is your bike?

What you might do is take it to the kawi shop or some other local motorcycle repair and have them just adjust the clutch they shouldn't charge much if anything and make sure it's not just a simple adjustment problem especially since you feel like the clutch has been put back together right...

Did you make sure to put enough torque on the spring bolts? It seems like to me those can be tightened pretty tight and it would be hard to over tighten them. Just be careful and don't break a bolt off you should know when you have them good and tight. I stopped at 5 ft lbs according to the manual it needs about 6.4 but 5 felt plenty tight to me. The torque wrench i have is more like a 1/2 breaker bar.

·
Registered
25 Posts
with the clutch cover off... when you pull in the clutch, does the actual clutch spread apart? There has got to be something wrong with your adjustments. When you pull in your clutch lever, the clutch should spread apart enough to where you can pull the plates apart. If your plates are coming apart then there is no reason why your bike would want to stick and stall so bad

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
with the clutch cover off... when you pull in the clutch, does the actual clutch spread apart? There has got to be something wrong with your adjustments. When you pull in your clutch lever, the clutch should spread apart enough to where you can pull the plates apart. If your plates are coming apart then there is no reason why your bike would want to stick and stall so bad
yes, when i pull the clutch lever in, with the clutch cover off, the plates are loose enough to pull apart. When i let go of the lever the clutch tightens back up.
I dont know what the problem is, but like i said, this all started when i went to adjust the clutch cable! It runs excellent, but as soon as i put it in to gear it stalls instantly because there is literally no clutch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
yes, when i pull the clutch lever in, with the clutch cover off, the plates are loose enough to pull apart. When i let go of the lever the clutch tightens back up.
I dont know what the problem is, but like i said, this all started when i went to adjust the clutch cable! It runs excellent, but as soon as i put it in to gear it stalls instantly because there is literally no clutch.
thats too wierd... your plates are definetely sticking. what gear oil are you using? that shouldnt have too much to do with it but I'm just wondering.

What happens when you put the bike in first gear, pull the clutch in, and try and start it? Does the bike want to leap forward when you kick it? Or will it start?

Or, if you have the clutch cover off already, put the bike in first gear, pull the clutch in, and have a friend spin the back tire and get a good look at why the plates are sticking. this is with the bike off of course

·
Tree Magnet
393 Posts
The plates don't have to be sticking for the clutch to grab.

IF you have all the washers in place properly...(IF)...then you are probably overtightening the inner hub against the basket and the two are dragging each other along.
Pull the plates out and see if you can spin the hub and the basket independently with the bike in neutral. I'll bet you can't. And if that is the case, make sure your thrust washer is in place and that you didn't torque the hell out of the clutch nut.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thats too wierd... your plates are definetely sticking. what gear oil are you using? that shouldnt have too much to do with it but I'm just wondering.

What happens when you put the bike in first gear, pull the clutch in, and try and start it? Does the bike want to leap forward when you kick it? Or will it start?

Or, if you have the clutch cover off already, put the bike in first gear, pull the clutch in, and have a friend spin the back tire and get a good look at why the plates are sticking. this is with the bike off of course

i am using 10-40, now that i think of it, it was somewhat acting up since i changed the oil(and adjusted the clutch cable)...i dont know what was in it before as i had just bought during winter and hadnt changed the oil....who knows what the previous owner had in there.....what other type of oil could i use? thinner?

when i put the bike in 1st and pull the clutch in, yes it wants to leap forward when i kick it in 1st. i dont think i have the foot power to get it started in 1st.
When you are talking the plates are sticking....are you talking the metals are sticking to the fibers? when i had the cover off, i had a look at the plates and there not TOTALLY stuck together....but the metals seem like they are suckioned to the fibers, but i could get them apart with a flat screw driver, and then they somewhat suctioned again.....would this be a problem with the oil?

·
Registered
25 Posts
i am using 10-40, now that i think of it, it was somewhat acting up since i changed the oil(and adjusted the clutch cable)...i dont know what was in it before as i had just bought during winter and hadnt changed the oil....who knows what the previous owner had in there.....what other type of oil could i use? thinner?

when i put the bike in 1st and pull the clutch in, yes it wants to leap forward when i kick it in 1st. i dont think i have the foot power to get it started in 1st.
When you are talking the plates are sticking....are you talking the metals are sticking to the fibers? when i had the cover off, i had a look at the plates and there not TOTALLY stuck together....but the metals seem like they are suckioned to the fibers, but i could get them apart with a flat screw driver, and then they somewhat suctioned again.....would this be a problem with the oil?

What dmstarr mentioned above could be your problem. He has a very good point. If you forgot to install the washer between your clutch basket and the inner hub, then this would cause this.

Do what he mentions and take your clutch plates and disks out and see if you can turn the inner or outer hub by hand with the bike in nuetral. If you can not turn them freely then you either forgot to install the washer between the two, or you overtightened the big clutch nut that holds them both on. Your oil definetely wouldnt cause this much grabbing.

You are using 2-stroke GEAR oil correct? Not just regular motor oil? And yes the clutch fibers feel like they are "stuck" to the discs, its the oil holding them together

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well your so right :)
the hub nut was too tight.....you guys are awsome....thank you very much for the help....i would buy you guys a beer...if i new ya :)

p.s 1 more quick question.
how much do you tighten the hub nut? can it grab the basket just a we bit? or does the hub have to totally spin freely?(when you spin it, it keeps going) what actually holds the nut on...without coming off?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts