Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
The only thing that cause cause a engine to backfire when starting is the timing not being correct so try adjusting it (ps stator) the cover for it is on the side with the shifter normally has about 6-10 bolts and inside is the flywheel you would want to adjust by the screws beside the flywheel you do not have to remove the flywheel to adjust timing good luck

·
Registered
407 Posts
The only thing that cause cause a engine to backfire when starting is the timing not being correct so try adjusting it (ps stator) the cover for it is on the side with the shifter normally has about 6-10 bolts and inside is the flywheel you would want to adjust by the screws beside the flywheel you do not have to remove the flywheel to adjust timing good luck

Please don't post comments when you don't have any direct experience with the question asked. You are going to strike fear into the person that posted the original question for NO reason. Playing around with static 2 stroke ignition timing is BAD, unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing.

KX500's WILL on occasion backfire out the exhaust when attempting to start. In my experiences, a KX500 backfire is caused by the crankcases being "slightly" flooded, but NOT to the point where the plug isn't firing. Mine will do it once in a while if I don't correctly perform my starting regiment. Here's a awesome site for the almighty KX500 (there is a ton of stickie reading on how to start a KX500 correctly)

KX500

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.