Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a KX65 & 125 from my pops and have only had a couple of chances to ride them. When he first gave them to me, they would kick start on the first or second try. The bikes sit for a week or so without starting (just too busy with two young kids). Now when I try and start them, it takes a number of times to start them, or they won't kick over at all. I changed the plugs and sprayed some carb cleaner into the carb, and the bikes kick right up, but the the 65 won't idle and the 125 dies when put into first (but if I feather the throttle, it will be fine to ride). I'm thinking the carbs need a good cleaning, and maybe the jets/float need to be changed. How often should one start these bikes? Sorry, but I'm at work and don't have too much time to search all the threads.

Any other info. on maitenance or what should be done on these bikes would be greatly appriciated.

Is there a PDF or copy of a manual on this site to print out? I also have to re-build the master cylinder for the rear break.

thanks a bunch

·
Registered
39 Posts
This sounds like it would be your carb. since your spraying in carb cleaner and it's starting up. Don't do that anymore. Thats made to spray through jets and get gunk out. if your spraying it through the back this could mess up your cylinder as 2-strokes need 2-stroke oil to lubricate the cylinder. Take the carb off. clean the jets with cleaner and make sure you can see straight through them. put them back on and it should be fixed with minor idle adjustments or air/fuel mixture adjustments.

·
Dirt Bike Dad
144 Posts
Also make sure you have good clean fuel that is the correct octane and mixture.
If you changed plugs and they started it sounds like your have the incorrect mixture.
Stock mix is 32:1, people commonly run at 40:1 to lean it out. Either of these should be ok.
Cleaning you carb is good, check float levels and set the idle screw properly.
Regular maintenance includes cleaning and oiling your air filter (something alot of people neglect).
The most valuable tool you can buy for your bike is a service manual. Get one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the replies. I figured it was the carb. I am using a 32:1 ratio and 87 octane gas. Do you think 91 octane should be used? I will get a manual. Where is the best place to look?

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,975 Posts
This forum is run by a Kawasaki dealer.

Drain out the "who knows just how old" fuel in the bike and start with fresh. Premium octane only!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts