Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's kx 65 runs fine for 10 minutes or so and then acts like it is starving for fuel. Does anyone have any sugestions?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
could be electrical since it runs for a bit. but fuel wise make sure all the vent lines are open and make sure the tank vent is working.

·
Registered
205 Posts
ira sprouse said:
My son's kx 65 runs fine for 10 minutes or so and then acts like it is starving for fuel. Does anyone have any sugestions?
Need a bit more info to pinpoint your problem.....After it starts acting up, can you shut it off for a min or two and then will the bike run normal again for ten more minutes? If if does it probably is a fuel problem. If it doesn't it is probably an electrical problem. On the fuel problem there are a couple of things to check. There is a fuel filter on the pet**** on the inside of the fuel tank. It will plug sometimes and needs to be cleaned. Make sure the vent line from the gas cap is unrestricted, if it has a one way valve they can often fail and cause a similar problem. Make sure the vent tubes on the carb are also unrestricted. Your float level in the carb could be too low causing a fuel starvation problem. I had a neighbor down the street describe to me the same problem....after riding the bike I found out he was fouling spark plugs not having a fuel starvation problem. I simply rejetted the bike and it has been running great ever since. Try to give as much info as you can when you describe the problem and you'll get a lot more help from everyone here! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When the bike stops running, it will re-start on the first try. I have taken your advise and cleaned the fuel filter. I have also relocated the fuel air vent to the original position on the number plate. It has been pushed it down into the "gooseneck". I will try this as soon as the snow melts and it warms up above freezing. If this doesn't work what is the proper way to adjust the float level?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help, I tried to find one of those tubes to check the fuel level in the bowl with no success. I had to adjust the level up. Like you said it was starving from not enough fuel in the bowl. I took the carb off and adjusted prpoably 8 times. I do have one other question. I have been running Sunoco racing fuel with Amsoil 2 cycle 32:1. I have had to adjust the needle in the carb to the richest setting. I also have a set of the Boysen power reeds installed, which they state, that it should run rich and suggest trying a leaner mixture. I have tried to lean it with the clip. This leans it out to much. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Why do you think it leans it out too much? The boyesen reeds don't need any special jetting unless you are talking about the rad valve. Put the jetting back to stock specs and try it again now that the float bowl isn't running out of fuel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I move the clip off the first ring (richest) the power curve is very speratic. 1/4 throttle on up, if you hold the throttle at different positions the engine is always on and off the pipe even at low end positions where the pipe (power band) is not needed.

·
Registered
205 Posts
ira sprouse said:
If I move the clip off the first ring (richest) the power curve is very speratic. 1/4 throttle on up, if you hold the throttle at different positions the engine is always on and off the pipe even at low end positions where the pipe (power band) is not needed.
The clip should be in the middle position. The first position, being the very top......is the leanest position. The bottom position usually #5 is the richest. Put the clip in the middle and return the jets to the stock size and run the bike now that the float bowl isn't running out of gas. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The clip is on the #5 position, but I will try the #3 position and give you a report on Sunday. Thanks for your help. Where can I find one of the tools with the tube coming out of of it that connects to the bowl to measure fuel level? Does anyone make a carb rebuild kit that the needle, seat and bowl is included or do I have to buy all parts separate?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just order the oem part from your Kawi dealer. Very few carb parts ever wear out. Sometimes you have to replace a float, or a float valve. Other than than the carb is pretty much maintenance free. Other than setting the float level and adjusting jets and such for changing temps and altitude. I'm glad to hear the bike is running better!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts