Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sons kx 65 has been put up for a while. Got it out, wouldn't start, fooled with it, got it to start, won't idle. It runs like a scolded poodle on top end but no matter what I turn, adjust, or how I hold my mouth, it will not idle. It actually isn't just the idle, it seems that the whole bottom end is very sluggish. Is there a default setting I can reset to, then start messing with it again? Thanks

·
Registered
407 Posts
My sons kx 65 has been put up for a while. Got it out, wouldn't start, fooled with it, got it to start, won't idle. It runs like a scolded poodle on top end but no matter what I turn, adjust, or how I hold my mouth, it will not idle. It actually isn't just the idle, it seems that the whole bottom end is very sluggish. Is there a default setting I can reset to, then start messing with it again? Thanks
Dirty carb, and or varnished ***** E10 fuel. Very commone problem with bikes that sit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably just go ahead and take it all apart and clean it good tomorrow. It can't hurt it. I was just wandering if there was an adjustment on it that I was missing. Thanks again.

·
Registered
407 Posts
what is ''e10 fuel'' polar bus?

95 octane?

E10 is a nickname for the new EPA friendly 10% Ethanol based fuel. The stuff quiets the political enviromentalist activists, but wreaks havoc in your fuel system. Ethanol is a mositure sponge, and E10 causes "phase separation" so water separates, and pools in the bottom of your fuel tank. E10 is also corrosive after the fuel evaporates. The ethanol residue clogs jets and causes carb inlet needles to stick. We all know what bad $hit happens to a 2 stroke engine when you choke off the fuel flow at high rpm's from clogged jets !!!!! E10 also has a very short shelf life if left untreated, lasting sometimes as short as 30 days! I tell everyone if you have E10 in your tank, and it's going to be in there for a while, add this to the fuel and you won't have any worries !!!:

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - HOME

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just watching ya'lls discussion on Ethanol. Where im at here in georgia, its just now starting to be a large problem with chainsaws, weedeaters, and apparently my sons kx65. The problem with his bike was just as you are stating. It had been setting in the basement for just a couple months and that jet was packed solid. It took a small paperclip and a lot of force to open it up. Carb cleaner wouldn't touch it. This stuff sucks!!! However we do still have some locally owned small gas stations that have no ethanol gas. They get all my business.

·
Registered
33 Posts
StarTron can be bought in bulk (1 qt bottle) for $22.54 ea. from www.jamestown distributors.com. It treats approx. 500+ gals. of gas. One oz. treats 16 gals of gas. My local VIP auto store has it on sale right now for $4.99 for an 8 oz. bottle so I'm gonna pick up a few tomorrow on my way home from work. I've got plenty of gas tanks to try it in. The testimonials on the StarTron website say this is some good stuff, several testimonials from riders praising it.
Greg "Bedouin" Lozier
'08 Nomad blue/silver

·
Registered
67 Posts
If it's been non-running for more than a year, I'd start by removing the carburetor and disassembling. remove both jet's and use carb cleaner and air to clean everything up including every orifice. The carburetor jet's and their housings need to be cleaner than the plate you eat off of. Do not use the carb cleaner sparingly. Today's gasoline starts breaking down very quickly and what you are describing sounds like a pilot jet issue. After you remove it insure that the carb., holder to the top end does not have any air leaks. Insure your air filter is not clogged, replace the plug, replace the pre-mix and kick away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.