Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the clutch on my sons 1987 KX-80. When I tighten the 5 bolts that hold the springs in the clutch basket, they become compressed all the way down. I bought a manual and all it says it tighten the bolts down tight. Is there anyone out there that can explain to me what I am doing wrong or what i need to do? :toetap:

·
Registered
917 Posts
pictures would help. I tried looking at a parts diagram and that is a backwards looking clutch.

So you followed the manual? The springs should be compressed. The bolt head should seat though (to part your threading into). If not, something is too long- clutch plate stack or spring's compressed height.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was another post a couple months ago with the same problem. I contacted that guy and he still does not have an answer either. I am going to try and find his posts because it has the parts manual pictures of exactly what is wrong.
I took it apart and put it back together 3 times and It does the same thing. I cannot see why there is an issue. I understand that the springs should be compressed; but what is going to spread the springs. When I put the cover back on and try the clutch it is solid.
any ideas; do I need to torque the main nut and see if that should seat something? I just do not know.

·
MX. Dad and Racer.
207 Posts
It should compress the springs down , i dont know the tourque spec , just snug them down put it back together and try it .

·
Registered
1 Posts
87 kx 80 stiff clutch and will not dissengage completely

It should compress the springs down , i dont know the tourque spec , just snug them down put it back together and try it .
I have the same problem with my bike, does anyone know what this could be? It seems that my springs are compressed completely when I tighten the bolts on the pressure plate. Is my clutch pack worn? Doesn't make sense to me if it is worn because like i said it will not fully disengage and is hard to pull into neutral. Please help:newyear1:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hye there; did you get any help for your issue? I have taken the clutch basket apart and put it back together 10 times and no change..

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem, had to tear it apart because it was at a carpenter's house who tried to fix it, went to check plates and clutches, and realized this is clutch back-asswards, but I'm wondering, do you actually run the bolts all the way in? or do you leave them part way out for spring compression? it looks like the clutch works backwards from what most people are used to.

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,975 Posts
They are tightened to a certain torque, as shown in the service manual. There is some gap so the clutch works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi i had the same problem tighten down the bolts all the way down then back them out about 5 turns or two thumb nail withs and the clutch should work

·
Registered
7 Posts
What did you guys end up doing? I ran across this thread because I'm have *exact* same problem. Leaving the bolts loose is super sketchy to me. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts