Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Braaaaaaaaap
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched everywhere on the internet, and can't seem to find a video or anything on how to remove the front brake pads. Can anyone help? Have any of you found a video on how to do it? Does it call for removing the whole caliper? I've seen other videos on youtube on how to do it for other bike, it's just 1 bolt that holds the pads in, but I don't have that. Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You must pull off the caliper and the pads should pull off easily. Normally 2 bolts with allen heads to remove the calipers. You should be able to do in about 15 minutes. You will have to push the pistons in on the caliper for the new pads to fit on the rotor. And don't for get to bleed the brakes.

·
Braaaaaaaaap
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bleed? I saw on youtube the guy just pumped the brake lever and the caliper pistons moved to meet the brake pad and it was fine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You want to bleed it to make sure there is no air in the line(it takes a few minutes and it's better to be safe when it comes to brakes). To bleed the brakes get everything back together. Then you will pull and release the brake lever till it get very stiff to pull. Hold the lever in and loosen the bleed nut till fluid comes out then tighten the bleed nut then release the lever. If air comes out with brake fluid repeat until there is no more air in the line and refill resevoir.

·
Braaaaaaaaap
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Just hope there's no air in the lines, and if there is, there's enough fluid in the reservoir because someone stripped the bolts on top so I can't get the cap off. People are dumb.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had that problem when I got my kx250. I drilled the screw heads off and there was enough screw sticking out to grab with some vice grips and unscrew it out so you might give that a try. Ace hardware had the replacement screws I needed.

·
Braaaaaaaaap
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got around to doing this, i took the wheel off, the disc was black, So I cleaned that. If the disk is black, someone told me that the pads would be contaminated with some kind of fluid.....fork fluid or something. So, I took the caliper off the forks, with the cable still attached. But I can't seem to get the pads off........they don't just fall off. I need help.

·
Braaaaaaaaap
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No. not with the fill cap removed. i dont even know how to push the master cylinder in. I have to do the back brakes too.

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
I finally got around to doing this, i took the wheel off, the disc was black, So I cleaned that. If the disk is black, someone told me that the pads would be contaminated with some kind of fluid.....fork fluid or something. So, I took the caliper off the forks, with the cable still attached. But I can't seem to get the pads off........they don't just fall off. I need help.
Unless the cylinder is leaking the pads will not have brake fluid on them.
They should be dry.
If the caliper is off, simple pop the pads out of it.

·
Braaaaaaaaap
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unless the cylinder is leaking the pads will not have brake fluid on them.
They should be dry.
If the caliper is off, simple pop the pads out of it.
I found out its the forks leaking, went riding today and the whole fork is covered in oil. Time for a rebuild of those. But, the pads don't just pop out! It's a pain in the ***. I need to back and front and i Cna't get them off.!

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
I found out its the forks leaking, went riding today and the whole fork is covered in oil. Time for a rebuild of those. But, the pads don't just pop out! It's a pain in the ***. I need to back and front and i Cna't get them off.!
Can you post a photo of the calipers?

·
Braaaaaaaaap
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tomorrow. I gotta wash it, SUPER muddy now, went riding today. I'm taking the back wheel off tomorrow to replace bearings, I'll take pics of front and back.

·
Braaaaaaaaap
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I changed the rear pads today, that had to allen head screws that you unscrewed and the pads fell out. The front one does't have any.....

·
Registered
917 Posts
you actually have to remove the caliper from the fork to change the pads.

Anyway with the top of master cylinder removed you can push the piston in and those posts on the side will slide back also.

Tilt the one pad and slide in off.

Many times i just pushed the cylinder in with the master cap on but last time I blew the sight glass out of one of the masters, so I dont suggest doin that any more.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts