Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 01 KX 85 that I have removed the top end to find a blown front piston. Was able to remove most of the piston fragments from the case with twisers. Does anyone have a procedure to remove any remaining piston fragments from the crankcase? how difficult a job is it to split cases to clean out the crankcase?
:lol:Thanks for the help Durace

·
Braaaaaaaaap
383 Posts
To split the cases, you need to remove cylinder, engine from bike, clutch cover, fllywheel, stator, and a few gears on the right side of the engine, chain sprocket, and you need a case splitter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To split the cases, you need to remove cylinder, engine from bike, clutch cover, fllywheel, stator, and a few gears on the right side of the engine, chain sprocket, and you need a case splitter.
What is your opinion on having the cylinder resleeved and bored vs. buying a new factory cylinder? The parts are about 430 without knowing the condition of the crank and rod. Would you go ahead and rebuild the entire bottom and top end for about 600 in parts. I can do the rebuild myself. This is a 2001 KX85 a friend of mine gave me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts