Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

kx100 engine advise

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  slapading 
#1 ·
hi all am looking at running a kx100 engine in a project am building. is there anything problem wise i should be looking out for on these engines and what years are the best. i wont be using the gearbox and will be taking drive of end of crank. any help in any way will be very helpfull

cheers:D

#2 ·
You might want to buy one 98' on up because the parts are more compatible with newer models and easier to find on ebay...In 98' kawa started using the exhaust powervalve on the kx100 engines (i don't know if it makes them any better but the 97 and below used a ported cylinder. I had a 95' kx100 and the motor in it was great)

#5 ·
why would you be getting a drive right off the crank why not use the gear box on it like it was designed I mean it will still drive what ever you are trying to turn ..... i would think it would be hard to modify the engine to drive off the crank like that ...... not to mention it would proabbly make it harder to start adn stop the engine

#6 ·
why would you be getting a drive right off the crank why not use the gear box on it like it was designed I mean it will still drive what ever you are trying to turn ..... i would think it would be hard to modify the engine to drive off the crank like that ...... not to mention it would proabbly make it harder to start adn stop the engine
Exacty what I was thinking

#8 ·
heck even if it was a helicopter i would still think you would use the gear box you could get more rotation outta the blades by doing so ... seeing as the higher the gear the faster the blades would spin LOL

#9 ·
will be using it to drive lift fan on my hovercraft. is easy enough to take drive straight off crank and can then gear it with belt and pulleys to give correct fan speed plus can then cut gearbox off and will lose quite a bit of weight from doing this and will just fit pull start to allow me to start it. Do anyone no of any workshop manuals that can down load at all

cheers:|

#13 ·
thats interseting but i still dont see how you would "cut" the gear bok off with out losing the strength of the crankcase but you definatly have me curious now post some pics if you dont mind i would like to see this

#14 ·
i would make up new mounts and have them welded to the cases or use original bolting points. it would just make the engine more compact and lighter. havent done this yet as its a new idea of mine. i already use this method on my previous craft with a tzr250 in it but just use the 8 crank case bolts to mount the engine to a plate that then bolt onto craft. i need to get a manual to have better look at the lay out of the engine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.