Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was in around 3 gear, mighta been over revving i dont think so but it locked up on me had to come to complete stop (it made me)

anyways cant kick it over anymore!!!! :( kick wont down am i lookin at top end replace, or is this bottom end, reading manual tonight.

was it just time for my bike to blow????????...

-i didnt put in my new air filter in yet, but other 1 wasnt to bad...

-i went through a big puddle, exhaust looked fine tho...

-gas sat for a week or 2 but i was told here its ok as long as i shake it alot...

got it into the new big shed so i got a lil work place for it now hopefully i can learn some stuff ...

thanks for reading...im fing ****ed off got to ride for 5 mins , then she crapped on me, my bros CRAP giovanni CRAP CRAP CRAP was still burning past me couldnt believe it, i told him once i rebuild my bike will be back to normal=better than his lol..

·
Registered
917 Posts
First can you put the bike in like 4th gear and turn the rear wheel?

all was probably fine except for possibly the jetting. Did you jet the carb for operating the motor in cold weather?

Or may be it was something else. Hard to say from here.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no i cant say i adjusted my carb.

so i guess my bike needs a rebuild?, or are u saying i can fix it like the kicker needs work or something?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i took off filter just now and looked inside the black rubber part

not filter box deeper towards carb, and i can see sludge in there if i stuck a rag in there i could get some stuff on it.<--iv wiped out that box before

took some pics of that just uploading now to comp.

filter was oiled nicely still once i checked with good light, thing is sticky..

·
Registered
917 Posts
example. My quad locked up and stalled. I could not kick it over at first. I thought it had seized. I was out on a State Park trail system by myself but with people nearby. Well I wasn't going anywhere any time soon so I decided to investigate further.

To prove piston seizure I pushed the quad tire while in 4th gear. Low and behold the motor turned. So I know now the jam is in the clutch side. A couple guys pull up and I tell them what happened and the kickstart lever is jammed. Big guy steps on the lever and it pops free. I start it and ride back to my truck.

A bolt for the power valve pieces backed off so it and some of the pieces fell into the clutch area and got chewed up and stuck. The damage was fortunately minimal and I used the quad like that for years afterwards.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you pushed the tire while in 4th gear? and the motor turned can you explain that a bit better im pretty newish.

so hold in clutch, gear up to 4th, leave it in forth see if i can move bike?, but my bike will not move like that in gear?. do you mean hold clutch in while in forth and walk it? :S

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i dont see how putting it into 4th will show me if piston is jammed.

sounds interesting , ill wait for your reply :).

couldnt i damage it more by doing something like that?

cause i was gonna rebuild right, i was thinking of trying to open top of motor and take off piston and check it out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you can take your intake off and look in at the cylinder/piston.
didnt see this reply

soo that being my exhaust?

intake u mean by carb?

crappyish bike when i first got it sorta(even tho it looked really new), lil bit of smoke was coming from exhaust front so i replaced seals there
iv road it few times sealed back up with seal i put in myself which worked great i was thinkin cause of the seal it mighta been to much extra seal(pressure) that it made my bike crap out i was thinking(i tried to take a stab at it lol) i think power was better when iput seal in to.

learning sorry haha

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
4th gear is a high gear (low rollin resisatance) this is a gear you would want to be in if you had to push start the bike with the clutch out for it will allow the rear wheel to turn the engine over while pushin. if you tried to push in lower gear say 1st or 2nd gear then all you will do is make a drag make due to the tire wil not turn with the clutch out.

put your bike on something to hold it up.then put your machine in 4th gear and leave the clutch out(engaged) and see if you can spin that tire in any direction,if the tire will not move then id say you have piston sieze, and will be in need of a cylinder bore new pistons rings geaskets. but may need more when you pull the top end down and inspect and check to make sure the rod has not snapped or bearing failure.

good luck with the inspection/tear down keep us posted -corey-

·
Registered
917 Posts
I started thinking the rear wheel turning thing is kinda pointless since the scenerio that played out for me is probably rare.

But, this does remind me of when my 3 wheeler locked up in 3rd. I rocked the trike back and forth while I down shifted into 2nd because it didn't want to change gears. I put in second gear and turned the rear tire. Low and behold the piston/crank moved. I was on a frozen lake with really no way tow it and no one around to tow it. Had I just said to myself "well the rear wheels are locked forever until I take the motor apart and rebuild it", I would have had a hell of a time walking back to my truck then driving it to the boat launch and across the entire lake to load up my trike or pushing it with locked up wheels through 6 inches of snow on ice to the nearest road where I entered the lake. No, it was hella easier to start the trike and drive it in 1st and 2nd gear and just assume 3rd gear was blown (which it was).

Just take off parts that allow you to look into the cylinder at the piston. This could mean the exhaust but looking through the port is not easy. Or you could remove the parts where the gas is taken into the motor aka the intake. Or you could remove the cylinder head after you drained all the coolant but you would probably find it not that easy too look in there either. Even after all that, you could just find out 3rd gear of your transmission failed or something else.

If you find it easier to take your entire motor apart to find the problem, then go for it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
iv been thinking about it just dont wanna get it dirty once i take it apart cause i wont crack case i d ont think.

dusty area

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
4th gear is a high gear (low rollin resisatance) this is a gear you would want to be in if you had to push start the bike with the clutch out for it will allow the rear wheel to turn the engine over while pushin. if you tried to push in lower gear say 1st or 2nd gear then all you will do is make a drag make due to the tire wil not turn with the clutch out.

put your bike on something to hold it up.then put your machine in 4th gear and leave the clutch out(engaged) and see if you can spin that tire in any direction,if the tire will not move then id say you have piston sieze, and will be in need of a cylinder bore new pistons rings gaskets. but may need more when you pull the top end down and inspect and check to make sure the rod has not snapped or bearing failure.

good luck with the inspection/tear down keep us posted -corey-
-->

1 - 20 of 51 Posts