Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 KX125. Changing clutch basket, OEM shop manual doesn't show the location of the large tapered washer (see pic, approx 3" diameter. Like an amature I missed where it came out of in the assembly.
Can anyone advise install location of this washer?

Pic of washer (sitting on the basket) and service manual attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Well that one has me Stumped.
I can't recall ever seeing that Type and size of washer in a KX clutch assembly.
I see from the picture you've removed the 8 screws, Have you had that apart because I wonder if that washer was inside hidden when it's back together something I've never taken apart so might be why I don't recognize it..
Can we have some more info on what why you are swooping out the parts and is that a Kawasaki clutch hub ?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Are we sure it is not this unnumbered washer? According to Partzilla that washer measures 20.5 mm ID by 34 mm OD by 1.4 mm thick.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Except that the 1.4 mm probably accounts for the curved portion, so the metal might be less than 1mm thick before it was pressed into a curved shape. If the OP measures his washer and the OD and ID match, then I would suggest we have a winner. These are commonly called Belleville washers and the thickness is spec'd by "height" which takes into account the curved shape,.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Ok, disregard my last post. I googled the part number of that washer and after looking at a number of images I can conclude that it does not match the OP's washer. I think you are correct Greenisbest, that the washer came from in behind the plate that is held by 8 screws OR, someone lost the correct washer and substituted this one.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Yer the washer you referred to is indeed a Belleville washer but there quite thick because they usually go under the Hub Nut and when you torque the nut down the design of the washer pushes back against the nut acting as a deterrent to the nut coming undone, His washer looks far to flimsy to act in this way.
I'm wondering if it did actually come from the Bike having got mixed in with the KX parts, Just my thoughts out loud :unsure:

·
Registered
795 Posts
It does look about the right size to go behind the 8 screw plate, and given the small diameter of the screws and the high tensile, spring steel of that very large washer, I can see it providing a deterrent to loosening of the 8 screws. But this is just speculation as I have never taken apart a clutch to that level. We will have to wait and see if OP removed that plate.
If he did not remove the plate, I would totally agree that washer does not belong in that clutch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The washer was removed from the original clutch. I bought the bike new and disassembled it myself recently.
Since the washer cannot be seen on the diagram it does lead me to believe it belongs underneath the primary drive gear. The primary gear is two-sided and the underside appears to have a slot for it.
Here is a picture of the underside of the primary gear when removed from the original clutch basket

I installed the primary gear on the new basket and I think I screwed up and need to remove it to put the washer underneath unfortunately it is Loctite it with 272 and not easy to get off without persuasion

·
Registered
795 Posts
unfortunately it is Loctite it with 272
Ouch. Well they say to heat it to greater than 550 def F and you can unthread it but the heat may damage the rubber damper blocks. You could try heating just the head of the screw and hope that the heat is localized enough that your dampers are unharmed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts