Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Picked up an 85 last month. Replaced CDI to fix spark issue. Really wants to fire, (spark, fuel) but tested compression as stated. I had the cylinder dial measured at 56mm. It has been sleaved before and was very smooth. The piston I am guessing is a Wiesco since it only has 1 ring and stock is 2 OEM. Replaced the ring but no love. Im thinking I may need a new piston kit, but I am not sure if I should order a 56.5 or ?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
mb

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hello all,
Picked up an 85 last month. Replaced CDI to fix spark issue. Really wants to fire, (spark, fuel) but tested compression as stated. I had the cylinder dial measured at 56mm. It has been sleaved before and was very smooth. The piston I am guessing is a Wiesco since it only has 1 ring and stock is 2 OEM. Replaced the ring but no love. Im thinking I may need a new piston kit, but I am not sure if I should order a 56.5 or ?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
mb
55 psi indicates you have a worn or worse blown top end. You need to tear down the top end for an inspection. normal compression ranges from 130-160 psi

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im just glad I got it to spark with the new cdi. Thats kind of what I was thinking. Has anyone sent their cylinder off to get bored? Any recommendations?

·
Braaaaaaaaap
383 Posts
Screw the compression tester in, hold the throttle wide open and give it about 7 kicks. Make sure your gauge is working, I tested mine the other day on my kx 80 and the gauge said 65. Then I tested it with a new gauge and it said 155psi.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had a number of engines bored out. Typical costs are about $50/hole plus the cost of the piston kit. Check the old piston and simply go 1 up on the wiseco chart from there. You will need to have the piston and rings in hand when you get the engine bored. Get the kit (includes: Piston, ring, pin, circlips and bearing) rather than just the piston. Insure your "guy" chamfers the ports to avoid a ring catching. New base gasket and head gasket should be done too. Your looking at about $175 in total. Standard maintenance on a 2-stroke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts