Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got an 89 kx125, can someone please tell me how to change the gear oil, also what type of oil and how much touse, thanks.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The drain plug with be a 14mm bolt on the bottom of the motor. After draining it replace the drain plug and the amount should be embossed on the right side case near the kickstarter. I'm guessing around .75ml to .80 ml. I'm going to recommend using Type F transmission fluid and it will take about a whole quart.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The drain plug with be a 14mm bolt on the bottom of the motor. After draining it replace the drain plug and the amount should be embossed on the right side case near the kickstarter. I'm guessing around .75ml to .80 ml. I'm going to recommend using Type F transmission fluid and it will take about a whole quart.

x2...agreed.

Make sure it's TYPE F, not Dexron/Mercon. I use the Castrol type F. My son can usually get much more time out of it before it starts to turn brown and burnt.
Also, You have to change it very often. We only get to ride on weekends and I my son changes his every 2 weekends. But he rides HARD. At $1.80/qt for a standard store brand, it's cheap insurance to change often.

·
Tree Magnet
393 Posts
And be careful not to over-torque the drain bolt when you reinstall it. You can crack the case.
I personally use either 75w gear oil or store brand 10w30. No matter what you use, fill it to the proper level and change it often.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I'm totally the wrong guy to ask:shock: I have truck gear oil in mine but i dont have to cange it veryy often - NOT TO BE RECCOMENDED!!

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I'm totally the wrong guy to ask:shock: I have truck gear oil in mine but i dont have to cange it veryy often - NOT TO BE RECCOMENDED!!
I run John Deere Diesel tractor oil in mine every once in a while. It actually works just fine. Doesnt work good at all when the temperatures drop below freezing though, the clutch slips like crazy.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I always had good luck using Type F since I was a kid (25+ yrs ago). Even now. I was never that meticulous as I am now. But I measured every piece in my sons bike when I installed them. The friction plates were .1150 new, I had the side case off 2 weeks ago checking the advancer assembly. The plates still mic'd at .1142. These are 6 months old and beaten on every weekend.

MAN, JD Tractor oil??? good stuff but definately a little thick in the winter. Being up in WI, Cold is an understatement. LOL

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
MAN, JD Tractor oil??? good stuff but definately a little thick in the winter. Being up in WI, Cold is an understatement. LOL
I hadnt ridden my bike since it was warm out, and I got it out and it still had that stuff in it. It was 10 degrees out and it was like gel. I could see chunks flying around through the sight glass. Once I got it warm enough it would drain, I changed to some ATF. It was fun ridding out in 10" of snow!:-D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Off topic, but I remember those days. I'm origianlly from Pennsylvania. When there wasn't enough snow to pull out the sleds (snowmobiles) we would still ride our bikes and 3 wheelers. Then quads came about. Now we have 3 quads and 2 bikes. No need for sleds here in Kintuckee.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I have got a couple of vintage snowmobiles(1972 John Deere 400 and a 1982 Ski-Doo Everest 500) to ride if I get sick of sliding the wheeled vehicles in the snow. That takes quite a bit though, because I usually make a huge snow pile and make it into a step up jump or a high flier for the MX bikes or the ATV's. I built one today that I am scared $hitless to hit, the ramp is about 8 feet tall and by the time you get to the top, the bike is aimed straight up and down. Maybe tomorrow I will hit it, and if I don't post for a while, take it as a failed attempt.:biggrin:

·
Registered
175 Posts
FAILED???

Naahh, You never fail. possibly hinderend from accomplishment, but try, try again. Plus you're landing in snow. It's almost like a foam-box...:eek:

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
The foam box part would be what would cause the failure. Sometimes I land on a soft spot and end up flying over the bars. I did that three times the other day on a double snow jump. I am going to try it at about noon or so, I think I will be fine if I extend the landing. It is a bit short right now.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I run John Deere Diesel tractor oil in mine every once in a while. It actually works just fine. Doesnt work good at all when the temperatures drop below freezing though, the clutch slips like crazy.
Thats exactly what mine is like until its been running for ages.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The foam box part would be what would cause the failure. Sometimes I land on a soft spot and end up flying over the bars. I did that three times the other day on a double snow jump. I am going to try it at about noon or so, I think I will be fine if I extend the landing. It is a bit short right now.
Video, video, we want video.:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts