Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
say my sleeve isnt damage much on my bike

do i put the same size piston and ring as in bike already?.

im not sure on ebay iv seen 97 wiseco piston kits some have 2 rings some have 1.

could i get number off motor to tell me or no?.

quick q:
i seen some dumb *** before try sanding sleve with nothing pro at all, bike still had powerband but first wasnt the best probly bad for bike to right?.

·
Registered
917 Posts
you should really take pictures and upload them

The cylinder is typically honed but a different hone is usually used for a steel sleeve vs a nikasil coated aluminum.

Many put a new piston of same size in an UNDAMAGED nikasil coated cylinder.

A dual ring piston will last longer. (single for more power and racing)

Do not sand your cylinder bore.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im going to upload pics soon here.

ya i was reading up on different kinds of sleeves steel etc i read up just recently someone saying that wiseco pistons arnt best replacement besides oem & this guy is talking about the kind of sleeve not being good to replace but i heard others say u can its fine right, what you think?

example::

"Mate..I hate to tell you this, but if you've got a std cyl (still electrofusion), Wiesco pistons are not the go.
They SHOULD be ok, but for some reason they don't get on.

KX125 - Just replaced piston, now has no compression [Archive] - Kiwi Biker forums

example:: "Wiseco Pistons need double the piston to bore clearence than OEM pistons. - In anything.

We always hone nikasil plated cylinders.

We always use Wiseco Pistons - BUT use rings that are matched for Nikasil or Steel sleeves."

hes even saying you need a certain kind of ring

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
now i dont know what kind of ring he means of course lol,

but do you get what hes saying? if u wanna just read site scroll down to closer to bottom

·
Registered
917 Posts
i under stand what he is saying although i have not read any other complaints like this. One piston is cast the other is forged (wiseco). His point is something I have considered very much when it comes to electrofusion (which is the process to adhere) nikasil bores of stock diameter.
Thing about it is Wiseco makes the piston to fit the stock bore but a Wiseco piston will expand more and faster cause of how it is made thus the extra clearance.

If someone was to bore a cylinder they need the piston first and to know the clearance value.

I would buy a Wiseco if it was a good deal. May be some else could answer that has the experience. All my cylinders have turned out to be steel sleeved. But I like them that way even though they are not as good, they seem to be cheaper (debatable).

OEM parts are usually higher quality but most likely have a higher cost.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ill check my manual maybe it will tell me what my sleeve is? im probly gonna buy wiseco piston anyways is it even worth checking up on it? i just dont want it to damage my bike worse than it probly already is!!! , cause i wanted to put standard piston in without boring it out, i didnt bore out last bike that i rebuilt dang i had old scratches on top of piston bike still ran great, how bad is it to not bore it what are the problems that come with that?.

My bike being old the piston has prolly worn down sleeve.
Well thats what im thinking right i seen a cheap one on ebay.

I read the # on side of motor, it said 54.5 is that to do with piston or is that my sleeve?.

cause the piston i saw for cheap said 54.50 i thought maybe there same :(.? i thought match them up ahh iunno...took a stab at it

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the oem piston kit is 210$ EEEKZZZ

& thats no gaskets nothing, just piston ring circlips etc

sorry trying to learn these motors well!!!!!!!

gonna have those pics up asap

·
Registered
13 Posts

im not sure on ebay iv seen 97 wiseco piston kits some have 2 rings some have 1.

quick q:
i seen some dumb *** before try sanding sleve with nothing pro at all, bike still had powerband but first wasnt the best probly bad for bike to right?.
yes sanding the cylender walls is a bad thing and same with the piston head ...yea put the same size piston and rod into your motor as you did before,,..unless your just replacing the rings and gaskets or your piston head is ****ed then put the same size weisco pistobn thaT was in it..

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey guys i think 54.5 and 54.50 are different size pistons i saw both sizes on ebay lol, or is 54.5 short for 54.50? ...

·
Registered
46 Posts

quick q:
stick to a 2 ring piston stock size,2 ring lasts alot longer

·
Registered
917 Posts
ok so you took the cylinder off and found out it was ok.

can you move the crank by hand now?

so the problem is in trans, clutch side, or stator side

1 - 20 of 41 Posts