Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
It might, but first spray the screws with PB Blaster or Kroil to loosen up the screws. Sometimes the gentle application of heat(hair dryer, or heat gun) helps too.

A left handed drill bit should turn the screws out, but be careful in not going too deep.

I've used a small sharp cold chisel with a hammer to turn the screws in a situation like this years ago. I hit the screw head at an angle to try and spin the head loose.It took several applications of heat and penetrating oil to get them to budge.

·
Registered
407 Posts
cant get them off by hand, seemed stripped as well what you think guys? will impact diver still work?

Those screws are not too badly stripped at this point. Use an Impact driver, and they will break free no problem. On a side note, if you do not have the Kawasaki service manual, make sure you punch reference marks for the stator plate before you take it apart ! If you re-assemble the stator with incorrect timing, BAD things will follow !

·
Registered
123 Posts
looks like you used the wrong size screw driver. The heads of the screws are big enough for vice grip plires to get a good grab with. Just a thought.

·
Registered
917 Posts
This is the exact reason I recommended an impact driver. If you are still reluctant to buy one:

Not sure how much any Penetrant will help, but before you go chiseling and drill the bolt heads, use a small vise grip to grab the bolt head and turn it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm with Nd4speed I don't think any penetrant will work. It doesn't look like there is any rust or gunk on those bolts. Once they beak loose they will probably be able to be unscrewed by hand. Not sure about the heat advise I think that would defeat the purpose. Freezing the bolt might work but then you run a greater chance of breaking the head off.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the exact reason I recommended an impact driver. If you are still reluctant to buy one:

Not sure how much any Penetrant will help, but before you go chiseling and drill the bolt heads, use a small vise grip to grab the bolt head and turn it.
was planning on buying one.. its just in manual it said try by hand if it dont work use impact wrench..

i did not stripp them, they was already stripped.

small pair of vice grips might work? sounds crazy ill give it a try..i think i might only have a big pair tho, we'll see..

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
looks like you used the wrong size screw driver. The heads of the screws are big enough for vice grip plires to get a good grab with. Just a thought.
Thats what I usually use on stripped screws if there is room.
And those appear to be well out in the open to get visegrips on.

If that fail, a chisel and small hammer is good to.

Or as a last resort cut a slot with a hacksaw blade or dremel across the screw head and use a large flat blade if you must.

·
Registered
917 Posts
small vise grips about the size of a hand are a last resort for me when I had stripped of encountered stripped bolts.

An impact driver will most likely remove those.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got them with the impact..

im looking in manual here, folks was saying i could take off right crankcase without taking off KIPS bolt

i think im gonna disagree because(after reading manual) the rod is connected to the bolt that has weld on it and that goes through the motor both sides..its pretty long... in manual it says take it off first, im guessing there spot on because if i didnt i would try to split cases and that rod WOULD be stopping me and
after using the tusk case splitter i would probly bust something..

that sound about right guys?

if i was looking at the right page..

should i start shavein down that weld on the kips bolt? maybe i shoulda stayed in other thread but they getting no attention ...few guys following me know whats up (thanks guys)..

im gonna have pics soon after i get a few replys here...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kips bolt is stopping me

that bolt needs to get smashed off i think, what you think folks... ill pull up pics so others can see hold on

1 - 12 of 12 Posts