Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone. i have a 1997 KX 250 and the clutch basket is in horrible shape. I bought a new (to me) complete clutch setup (basket, hub, and clutch and pressure plates off flea-bay. it was (supposedly) from the same year. everything is 100% identical on it, except on the clutch basket, the hole where the bearing goes is slightly larger. On the existing clutch basket, the hole is (approximately) 1.255" and on the new one, it is (approx) 1.335". the larger hole one is in round and looks clean, so i don't believe it was damaged or honed out. is it possible its from a different year using a larger bearing? or did i just buy a paperweight? any help is appreciated.

fwiw, i dont really want to drop the coin on a billet basket, as i only recreationally ride, and the bike is in so-so shape, so i really dont want to pour a bunch of money into fixing it up.

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,976 Posts
Check the parts diagrams on the kawasaki.com site under Owner Info and Parts Diagrams to see what year models around that time had a different basket. The bearing may be the difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good idea. i didnt know they had that. it looks like the same basket and bearings from at least 96 through 99. i am trying to contact the original seller to verify that he didnt have it bored out for some strange reason.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi

I have a 97 KX 250 and I am now using a Mitaka clutch basket, having replaced the old Talon unit. Neither of these baskets have a bearing installed in the centre, the middle hole takes the hollowed gear, which then sits on a bush with 2 needle roller bearings. The hole in the centre of the basket should be splined, to take the press fitted gear........Well it is on mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.