Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
One of the studs on the axle clamp on my 1994 KX250 has gone. It had been replaced (not by me!) with a too short 6m bolt and the thread stripped, so I took advice, drilled it out and tapped in a 8m thread but the hole I think was a bit too big and the new thread has stripped as well. Don't really want to try going up to 10m. I'm not too happy with the other 3 studs either - not sure they're capable of taking the recommended torque. So I am wondering whether I can (a) source a replacement clamp or (b) drill right through and put 4 bolts through from the back of the fork? I want to keep the cost down as this project has already cost me way too much.
Thanks.

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,975 Posts
WOW!

The torque figure on those nuts is only around 78 INCHES - pounds, so take it easy.

On the 1995 and newer KDX's, the part number for a stud is 172G0622. That means it is 6mm and it is exposed 22mm. There may be some similar part for your model. Measure the exposed length and check www.ronayers dot com or other place. The stud WILL NOT be on the parts diagram, but it is the correct dimensional replacement.

Take out the old studs and buy all new studs and nuts, then Loc-Tite the studs in and get an inches-pounds torque wrench on the nuts.

I would suggest that bolts not be used, as when they strip, it strips the forks internally (in the stud hole).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts