Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2001-kx250,,,1995-kx80
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok- can't beleive I am asking this question, but here it goes. I have a 2001 kx250 in need of a rear tire. I went to Babitts online where I get most parts and they have my tire as a 110/90-19. Not knowing what brand I needed- I went to the garage to look and my tire is a Michelin 140/80-18.

The wheel seems to measure 19". Is there trick/reason for the 18?

Thanks for any input!

Doug

·
Registered
407 Posts
Ok- can't beleive I am asking this question, but here it goes. I have a 2001 kx250 in need of a rear tire. I went to Babitts online where I get most parts and they have my tire as a 110/90-19. Not knowing what brand I needed- I went to the garage to look and my tire is a Michelin 140/80-18.

The wheel seems to measure 19". Is there trick/reason for the 18?

Thanks for any input!

Doug
At one point in your KX250's previous owners, someone swapped the MX type 19" rear wheel for a more Enduro friendly 18" wheel for racing enduros and Hare Scrambles. 18" wheels have a more favorable soft feel on hard, technical terrain. I don't know why someone would put a 140mm wide tire on a 250cc MX bike, but some people are cluless. I would suggest a 110/100-18, and I would also suggest a Maxxis IT tire. My tire of preference, great price, great traction, great longevity.

·
2001-kx250,,,1995-kx80
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input! Will I need to take this to a shop to have it put on or could I do it with basic tools? I did my son's little 50 and 70, but they are much smaller.

Thx/ dh

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Thanks for the input! Will I need to take this to a shop to have it put on or could I do it with basic tools? I did my son's little 50 and 70, but they are much smaller.

Thx/ dh
Very easy to do yourself.
Only differenece from a regular wheels is the rim locks.

Loosen them way off, the change the tire, and the tube to if its old.
Reinstall, and then snug up the rim locks.

Use tire spoons, not screwdrivers if at all possible.

·
2001-kx250,,,1995-kx80
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very easy to do yourself.
Only differenece from a regular wheels is the rim locks.

Loosen them way off, the change the tire, and the tube to if its old.
Reinstall, and then snug up the rim locks.

Use tire spoons, not screwdrivers if at all possible.
Thanks!!! I bought a tire on ebay. Should be here soon.:) :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts