Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi just wondering whats the 1st parts i should consider changing to aftermarket uprated ones 1st i got payed a xmas bonus got about £350 to spend its a 96

ps to save starting another thread how easy is it to replace the conrod and bearing (the big one) ive heard its easy and that is something i could do myself and i have also heard that id need to send my crank away to get done

·
Another old dirt bike guy
566 Posts
It does take special tools, such as a Rowe flywheel truing stand to do the big end rod bearing. By the time you buy a rod kit and pay a reputable shop to do the assembly and truing, you can just about pay for a complete Hot Rods brand crankshaft assembly.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i can get one for around £100 (hot rods kit) is this just a simple change ie will i have to do anything else to the bike after fitting and what makes them better

·
Hey, lemme ride your bike
1,975 Posts
Do you have the tools to disassemble the crankshaft, pressin the new pin and true the crankshaft?

I guess if you are asking on here about it being easy, then you don't know just how difficult it is. Of all the tasks and special tools required to work on ANY part of your motorcycle, I can't imagine ANY other task that is MORE difficult than that. I suggest you have a professional rebuild it IF!!! a complete crankshaft is not availble for your (whatever year it si since you didn't bother to mention which of the 34 different year models it could be)
:)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a 96 dont have tools to do it ill just get a hotrods kit if there is nothing else i need to do to bike after installing it! is there any other makes that are just as good?

·
1,975 Posts
If you don't have tools, then I suggest you take it somewhere to have the work done. It CAN NOT be installed without not just tools, but special motorcycle specific, odd-ball tools. Even if you bought a complete crankshaft, special tools are needed.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my engine in bits cranks out my problem is that there is sideways movement which i know is normal there is no up and down movement that i can feel but when i grab rod at the small end and move it side to side it feels like bearing is worn its quite hard to explain writing

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do you think it sound like it needs replacing or is it normal i cant feel any up and down movement at all

·
Registered
895 Posts
Personally if the bearing feels worn I would just replace the whole crank to prevent any possible damage, I wouldn't replace the Con-Rod or the Big-End after what happened to my one of my Dad's bikes (about 35 years ago :shock:) where he replaced the Big-End and Con-Rod on a Ossa 350 trails bike and right in the middle of a rock climb (7000rpmish) because he didn't true the crank or anything the Con-Rod shattered with the vibration of the crank wobbling and the crank snapped.

It ended up costing more than the bike was worth

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
where would you suggest i could get a crank cheap in the uk i can get one from us for 100 its a hotrods kit but it could take some time to get here

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im ordering hot rods crank of ebay for my bike is there any differances in cranks over the years from around 93ish up to 97 because im getting it from the us its a risk incase i get the wrong one i do beleive my engine is a 96 but you never know with these things because it does look like my engine no. has been tampered with

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and does the oem bearings fit this crank and is there any mods i need to do to the engine after installation

·
Another old dirt bike guy
566 Posts
You do realize that there is suppose to be side play in the big end rod bearing, just no up and down play. If you have the tools to install new main bearings then you can do the crankshaft install. To rebuild a crankshaft does take special tools!

The Hot Rods brand crankshaft assemblies are very good quality as are the Wiseco crankshafts, or you could use OEM. My preference is normally Hot Rods since they are built right here in Iowa!

·
1,975 Posts
See if you can find some part numbers for a UK model, as the bikes are sometimes different. A crank rebuild kit is usually around US $100. A complete crankshaft is usually US $175 - US $275 or more. I am not sure if you are referring to a rebuild kit or a complete crankshaft.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its a full crank ive ordered it and it should be here next week so ill get it all back together and get out on it luckily ive had my mates bike to play about on or i would have went mad by now that must be 3month now since i was last out on it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts