Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after fouling a plug on saturday, l played around with the idle, air mixture screws and totally stuffed it all up. l can only push start it and it still runs like a pig. if l try to rev it, it wants to bog down and stall. l tried to lean it out and then my exhaust got very hot that l couldnt touch it and then water started coming out of the overflow from the radiator.

The engine is only 3 hours old. is there a factory setting of a number of turns that you can suggest.

·
Registered
917 Posts
hard to say what you have done or what these screws are on your carb.

My carbs only have one air mixture screw and one idle knob.
Air mixture screw all the way in is 100 % gas. Start there and turn no more than 2 turns out.

Where are you? is it really cold there? Did you disassemble the carb and change the jets for cold weather? You have not provided enough info or pictures. We are looking at a computer screen not your bike.

Sounds like the bike is running lean and overheating and you are frying it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi nd4speed.
l did what you said, and l could only manage to push start it. it started and ran very rough, when l tried to rev it, it just wanted to bog down.

Do you think my jets may be blocked.

l live in australia, melbourne, l only played around with the mixture after fouling a plug at the track. lt has been running awesome since rebuild amd eats 450's at the track. all of a sudden it just fouled and wouldnt start again even with a new plug.
since rebuild l have never checked or even cleaned the carbie. can you suggest anything else.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
917 Posts
so its summer there?

Pull the plug again and look at it. At base of porcelain is it white, gray, black , or brown?

Sounds like carb problem but who knows maybe you blew the clutch side crank seal or the Power valve is not working right (doubtful) or you developed an air leak or perhaps you broke a reed.

Also maybe you sheared the flywheel key and timing is now off.

If you manually add some gas (few drops) or starter spray (one squirt) in the spark plug hole does it fire and run normally for a few seconds? Easiest to start with carb and look at reeds while carb is off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it is very hot,

the plug is black and full of fuel. l opened the clutch side crank last night and all was ok.
l have the carbie off the bike and im going to check the jets and reed. thanks for your help and l bet your a kick *** rider.
Where are you from anyway, do you ride often, and what type of riding do you like best.

·
Registered
917 Posts
well too rich can be reeds or clutch side crank seal is leaking or just the carb.

i'm from the USA, i ve ridin and wrenched on things for like 20 years but my riding and mechanic skills are limited, and I dont get out as much anymore. There are lots of nice woods trails in Michigan and there's even a small sand dune, but surely nothing like the wilds of Australia and its dunes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
nd4 had some good ideas:
1. Did you try the straight fuel down the plug hole? If you did and it started right up and ran for about 5 seconds your probably looking at either Carburetor, Fuel-tank fuel, Air-filter spent and creating a very rich mixture. Drain your fuel tank and re-do your pre-mix. You may have it very incorrect. Check your Air-filter. It must be clear or reasonably clear.

2. If it did not start right up and ran for about 5 seconds, then I'd check the spark. Actually, check the spark first. A weak spark could create the fouling condition. This could be as nd4 indicated, a sheared (or partially sheared) flywheel key, loose electricals, bad sparkplug cap to wire issue or other. Check the spark and insure it is big, fat and beautiful. Always use a brand new plug when checking for a good spark, then compare the spark with the plug your using. If they are about the same - use either plug.
3. Check your pipe baffles. I don't know what year your bike is, but a clogged pipe with either unburned fuel, carbon or mice can make for difficult trouble shooting. Pull it off and check it over. Basically, blow through it.
4. Follow your kill switch wire down and make sure it does not have a bad spot on it that is killing the engine by grounding on the frame. This is doubtful, but possible.

Let us know what you find out.....SD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all,
after taking your advise, l stripped carbie and cleaned all the jets and main. l also foumd that my ebgine stop had a wire not connected and l reconnected it and it now works fine. it started within 6-7 kicks and ran awesome with no bogging and once it got warm it revved so clean and crisp. The engine is back to normal and no longer heats up very quick as im sure this had to do with the engine running lean.
Thanks to all for your help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
l think l didnt explain myself properly, l believe the carbie had a lot to do with the engine running lean and overheating, the electrical switch was just something l found along the way while l was doing some overall checks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.