Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, i need some help.

i posted on her a few weeks ago after i had changed the clutch cover gasket on my son's KX60. after letting it sit for a couple of days with no oil in the plates stuck together and on refillinf the oil and starting the bike the clutch had terrible drag.....
well now it appears the water pump seal had blown and there is water in the oil, so this means a new pump seal and an cover gasket (just for the sake of it). but whilst i am doing this i want to get the plates out give them a good clean and soak them over night (last time i looked the frictions look fairly new).
can anyone tell me how to get the plates out with out having to spent lots of money on two tools a kwak spares place has told me i need, one being £25 and the other £240!!

any help would greatly appriciated

ian

·
Registered
407 Posts
1) remove the clutch cover
2) remove the 6 10mm pressure plate spring bolts
3)remove the clutch spring cover plate
4)remove the 6 springs
5)remove the outer pressure plate hub
6)remove the plates from the hub (pay carefull attention to the order of which the plates were removed. You have fiber driven discs, and steel drive plates.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers polar_bus, but it is not as simple as that. Once you remove the pressure plate and springs the hub and basket are held together by a nut in the centre with the plates between them. The tools from Kwak are to hold everything in place and stop rotation whilst you slacken the nut.
What I need to know is is there a way to remove this nut with out the expensive tools?

I have read posts by people saying use an impact driver, but I don't have one of those either. Any ideas people?

·
Registered
74 Posts
sorry to say but the clutch nut can only be removed with an impact driver! I had the same problem when i wanted to replace my entire clutch and basket. I tried everything (i'm a pretty big bloke with plenty of brute force) and I couldn't remove it. I had to borrow an impact driver and with one blast the nut was off. I have since bought myself one as I hate having to borrow stuff. But that is the only way you will get it off I'm sorry to say! Why not hire one??

·
Registered
407 Posts
Oops ! You nailed me !

Jam a screwrdiver where the crank gear drives the outer clutch basket. Use an impact and remove the nut. Now the inner pressure plate hub will slide off the shaft.

Cheers polar_bus, but it is not as simple as that. Once you remove the pressure plate and springs the hub and basket are held together by a nut in the centre with the plates between them. The tools from Kwak are to hold everything in place and stop rotation whilst you slacken the nut.
What I need to know is is there a way to remove this nut with out the expensive tools?

I have read posts by people saying use an impact driver, but I don't have one of those either. Any ideas people?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi guys, just a quick update. i have now done the job and didn't need a impact driver. on getting some further advise i was told it maybe possible to get a ratchet strap around the basket and hold it in place. unfortunately i couldn't get this method to work..... instead i used a bit of brute force! basically i put my 14mm socket on a long extension bar and attached that to a long handled ratchet driver, i then turned the handle to a approx 1030 position and gave it a hard jurk down (anti clockwise, ie undo) the basket didnt rotate to much so i did it a few more times until the centre bolt was slack. putting it all back together i just did the same thing in a clowise direction. all good!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi guys, just a quick update. i have now done the job and didn't need a impact driver. on getting some further advise i was told it maybe possible to get a ratchet strap around the basket and hold it in place. unfortunately i couldn't get this method to work..... instead i used a bit of brute force! basically i put my 14mm socket on a long extension bar and attached that to a long handled ratchet driver, i then turned the handle to a approx 1030 position and gave it a hard jurk down (anti clockwise, ie undo) the basket didnt rotate to much so i did it a few more times until the centre bolt was slack. putting it all back together i just did the same thing in a clowise direction. all good!

I came across this one last week.
I just put a socket on the nut attached to an extension bar, gave it a firm couple of whacks with the copper/hide hammer, stuck a penny in the basket gear and hey presto.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts