Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

KX65 clutch/trans problems after swithing to MTL 75wt

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  QKENUF4U 
#1 ·
Anyone have problems with their clutch or transmission after switching to Transmission specific oils such as Maxima MTL? My sons bike is harder to shift, the clutch doesn't disengage properly, and when stopped I can pull in the clutch lever all the way and the engine remains in gear with the gears locked up. Did I ruin this bike, or is there any hope of fixing? I was going to drain that crap and go back to a 10w40 but I really don't know what the guy had in it before I bought it. I do know that it wasn't this MTL stuff however. Help Please

#4 ·
MX Blues

Although I plan to use the 10w40, like the manual says for the crankcase oil, my question is what the heck do you use for pre-mix? I'm so sick and tired of all the different answers I get (only cuz it's confusing the **** out of me, not that I don't appreciate the input) that I could scream! I've suffered 5 breakdowns...crank going out; lower bearings, etc. From what I've gathered, it doesn't matter near as much what you put in the crankcase compared to what you put in the gas tank. So...isn't there some tried and true method to this madness as to what should go in these bikes? I have two 85's and two 65's. Can someone point me in the right direction please?

#5 ·
ok relax and step away from the bikes............... lol

first, use "GEAR SAVER" or similar oil in the CRANKCASE
second use PRE-MIX oil if you have to MIX the gas and oil together before putting it in the tanks (KLOTZ)
OR
if you have a remote oil tank and theres a injector system on the bikes then you have to use INJECTOR OIL (yamalube)
DO NOT USE CHAIN SAW OIL !!
ive been playing with bikes for over 25yrs as a hobby and didnt even realize they started to make different oils for different applications (injected vs. pre-mix)
oh and get a RATIO-RIGHT cup so that you can mix the fuel/oil correctly. those bikes would do fine on 32:1
good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.