Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 KX65's. What can I do to make them as fast as possible, but still be AMA stock class legal?

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Faster!

I'd get into the rules and read them real close! Depending upon the type of track one of the things that you should be doing is changing your gears, both front and back and have some extra chains for the different lengths, caused by the different size sprockets. Guys even on the road seem to never get this in their heads. If you have a"Top-End" that is over twice the Legal Speed LIMIT, then for what it is worth change your gears and use the power and limitations that you have...a bike is built like a car. It is built for the AVERAGE Joe. You want speed you can change things, you want more usable power you change things...you change things! I don't cruise the interstates, so I'm interested in changing my gearing for blasting the tight and twisties. I'd be almost red lined to be doing the 75MPH speed limit when I get done with my bike. Tires are another issue. Depending upon the track conditions hard clay loose mud, you should havea not only gear changes for this but different tires. Flat tracks and tihgt twisty hilly tracks...I went to an event last year that was on a field with big tractor tires on it...nothing but loose grass and packed clay, no burms, a really short track, and lots of dust. check out your track conditions and set up accordingly...find some guys that race all over an ask them things about the different tracks...or if yo are just going out to a regular social event whre everybody runs...find out what you have for trrack conditions and watch our RPM's...pay atention to what you have and what you can do to improve...also check your shocks and see if adjusting them will improve or hurt and record each tihng that you do seperately never make two different adjustments at the same time!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, pretty hard to get anyone to respond.

The things you have pointed are are very good, but have already been done. (Have been racing motocross for about ten years)

First thing I did with the stock KX65 was replace the tires, chain, sprockets, bars, and clutch lever and perch.

KX65 just can't hang with the KTM 65. I think the only AMA legal stock thing left to change is the carb jetting, needle setting and timing.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Compression and liner coating

Is it legal to increase your compression and is it legal to apply coatings to your cylinder sleeve with a Dry Film Lubricant and then perhaps some coatings of thermal barriers? Re: Iron Works Magazine November 2003. I think that IF it isn't spelled out that you could blow away yor competition...it's not (NOT) PTFE or Teflon coatings that are mentioned. Definately worth reading and having as a reference guide. www.techlinecoatings.com www.jestercycle.com www.eastcoastperformancecoatings.com
good luck and PLEASE get back to us or at least me if not the FORUM...I'm real excited about the little bikes that can!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lindsey,
Thanks for the comments.
Per AMA, I can not do anything that I know of to the cylinder. Trying to make the bike the best it can be, but as far as I know there isn't much I can do.
Once my son starts to jump more we won't have a problem.
Thanks,
Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts