Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought this and in order to get it registered I need a working horn. The button is gone and I'm having a hard time figuring out how the wiring here works. I really don't want to have to buy an entire new left bar control as mine is otherwise in good shape (and the ones on ebay look worse overall).

Anyone have a good way to repair this instead of replace?

Anyone know why there's just one black wire here?

Also, what is the "PASS" label referring to?

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
What year is the motorcycle? The Kawasaki dealer may have the horn button assy. Partzilla is showing that they have a horn button for the 81 KZ305-CSR & the photo shows that it includes the spring.

The horn has a power wire to it, usually brown, & pressing the button completes the circuit to ground. I think it's grounded via the handlebars.

I believe the passing button affects the headlight & I think it's a European thing to let a slow driver ahead know that you intend to pass. I think in Europe the headlight is normally off & pressing the PASS button turns on the headlight. There is also a separate headlight switch to turn on the headlight for night-time driving. Additionally on Euro models, there is an extra/separate "city light" in the headlight bucket that's kind of like a daytime running light. In the USA the headlight is always on when the ignition switch is on, but there isn't a separate "city light".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What year is the motorcycle? The Kawasaki dealer may have the horn button assy. Partzilla is showing that they have a horn button for the 81 KZ305-CSR & the photo shows that it includes the spring.

The horn has a power wire to it, usually brown, & pressing the button completes the circuit to ground. I think it's grounded via the handlebars.

I believe the passing button affects the headlight & I think it's a European thing to let a slow driver ahead know that you intend to pass. I think in Europe the headlight is normally off & pressing the PASS button turns on the headlight. There is also a separate headlight switch to turn on the headlight for night-time driving. Additionally on Euro models, there is an extra/separate "city light" in the headlight bucket that's kind of like a daytime running light. In the USA the headlight is always on when the ignition switch is on, but there isn't a separate "city light".
Awesome info - thanks for the response.

Bike is an '81 so not sure if they'd have something that old.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts