Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all! I have been snooping around the site for a while now, and have recently decided to dive into one of these bikes. I found a KZ550 on craigslist, which for all intents and purposes is a scrapper! Well, thats what they told me about my 65 MGB as well!

It is a 1980? KZ 550. I am starting my project by stripping the frame completely, and getting a good solid start with fresh paint. Now like I mentioned, I know cars at least half decent, and have done a lot of restoring and repair to many cars I have had, including the MGB. I figured, what the heck, how hard could a bike be!?

Weeelll, I am having my first brain buster already, within my first couple of hours. I stripped the bike carefully, and took notes/stored bolts in the proper groups so I could put them back where they came from! The last step of this process is now to remove the engine. With the frame supported on a cinder block and sawhorse, I positioned my floor jack underneath the engine. After removing all motor mounts, the engine is now free from the frame.

For the life of me, I have not figured out the "trick/s" to getting this thing out of the frame...please help!

Being that this is also my first post, I will plan on using this thread to update everyone on my progress. For what it is worth, the plan is to make a rat rod style bike, and learn about motorcycles as I go. I look forward to doing this build, and then a completely (as possible) stock restoration.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It needs to slide out the side of the frame. The engine weighs about 175lbs (or so) so I hope you've been working out.

Or.... you could lay the bike on its side and then lift the frame off the motor, much lighter than the motor.

Good luck and welcome to the site. Take lots of pictures and keep us up dated!

Matt-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was afraid to lay the bike on its side. No legitimate or exact reason, it just didn't seem like a proper way to do it. I will lay her down tomorrow and see what I can do. As soon as I am down to the frame, I will start with the pictures. Mods, I apologize if this is in the wrong "room". If you would rather this in projects, please move.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yes, I have checked it out a couple of times. Incredible job. I am so excited to start getting this thing on the build-up instead of the tear-down. Should be able to get that motor out tomorrow after work.

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
Being that this is also my first post, I will plan on using this thread to update everyone on my progress. For what it is worth, the plan is to make a rat rod style bike, and learn about motorcycles as I go. I look forward to doing this build, and then a completely (as possible) stock restoration.
So which is it a rat bike or restored to stock?
Or are you planning on doing both?

Oh and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This first build is going to be a rat style. That is what I have wanted to do for quite some time now. In my research though, I fell in love with the traditional restored bikes from this time as well. So the project I am working on now, is the rat rod. The second bike i picked up is in better condition to start with. The original plan was just to part that for this rat rod (mostly the front end), but now my plans are to restore that one completely to stock, after I finish the rat...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Rat Bike vrs. Stock

I will agree these bikes refurbed to bone stock are incredible.Now I might be wrong here, but isn't a rat bike a stock bike the is never washed, never fully properly assembled, keep the bike up and running with cheap as possible by fabricatin crap pieces. I'm not trying to be a ****** about it but it's all in how you label your bike. "Rat bike" I'm expecting to see a pile of junk that still running.

You also have Bobbers and choppers they are two complete opposites as well, different story though.

NO MATTER WHAT YOU DECIDE TO DO MAKE SURE YOU PLAN IT OUT!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The term rat bike may have been improperly used. I have borrowed a picture from BikerSwag.com to show the type of project I am shooting for. Minus the red accents, and adding my touch, but something along those lines. Rat rod may be the wrong term, and chopper vs. bobber is not a necessary argument to be had. It is really just a learning project for the most part.

However, since my last post, there has been some change in plans. It is no longer my kz 550 project, but my kz 750 project. Saw one on Craigslist, and couldnt resist. The 550 may become the "rebuild to stock" bike.

I have made way less progress on both than I hoped for, but work has me swamped right now, plus a recent move has made things a little difficult.

From the picture i think you could at least get an idea of why I would call it rat style. It is not stock at all, and at least to me has a imperfect look about it. Even though I think this bike is **** near perfect, you get the point.

I will post pictures as I get further along as things slow down for work in the winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
That is a "bobber": basically referring to bobbing the rear fender and seat, and removing the front fender. Usually an open exhaust, a lot of time just down pipes.

Only thing I see wrong with that one is the (lack of) brakes. Yikes.

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
I will agree these bikes refurbed to bone stock are incredible.Now I might be wrong here, but isn't a rat bike a stock bike the is never washed, never fully properly assembled, keep the bike up and running with cheap as possible by fabricatin crap pieces. I'm not trying to be a ****** about it but it's all in how you label your bike. "Rat bike" I'm expecting to see a pile of junk that still running.

You also have Bobbers and choppers they are two complete opposites as well, different story though.

NO MATTER WHAT YOU DECIDE TO DO MAKE SURE YOU PLAN IT OUT!
Stock to me is like it came from the dealer. A rat is a custom work as in casting off what one does not wish to retain. I like the rat bike look but would not call it stock. Now if you are talking stock running gear then that is a different story.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm still learning myself but if we don't discuss the differences and put the information out there....eehhh....

Dude your bike is gonna be SWEET!!!! Switching to something just a little bigger is always best... Now you have 2 bikes one for you and one for whoever comes over and wants to go... I love the bobber look! Try ordering parts from bikebandit.cm they seem to have everything you'll ever need from wiring diagram to brand new parts. I too found my 650 on craigslist for $500! Gotta love it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.