Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Ive got all the exhaust system off to replace gaskets and clean up and I still cant get this wretched bike to run at low speed properly - so as the thing is in bits a am thinking of taking off carbs to clean out properly - there are 8 phillips screws which seem to hold the whole assembly to the engine - however these screws look like they are almost impossible to reach.......is there a special tool needed to get to these - any suggestions/hints on easy way to get the carbs off? Any suggestions/hints/advice gratefully accepted...........makes the Del Ortos on my 850T seem positively basic!!!! :shock:
I have been giving it a ride up and down the road and at higher rpm it runs very well - just pops and bangs and misfires at low rpm
Thanks,
Lee

·
Registered
115 Posts
Check kzrider.com...Search or just ask in the engine related forum...Very knowledeable folks there. Wiredgeorge knows carbs inside-out. Good luck.

Ride safe...God bless!

-Ron

·
Registered
117 Posts
Britcheflee said:
OK, Ive got all the exhaust system off to replace gaskets and clean up and I still cant get this wretched bike to run at low speed properly - so as the thing is in bits a am thinking of taking off carbs to clean out properly - there are 8 phillips screws which seem to hold the whole assembly to the engine - however these screws look like they are almost impossible to reach.......is there a special tool needed to get to these - any suggestions/hints on easy way to get the carbs off? Any suggestions/hints/advice gratefully accepted...........makes the Del Ortos on my 850T seem positively basic!!!! :shock:
I have been giving it a ride up and down the road and at higher rpm it runs very well - just pops and bangs and misfires at low rpm
Thanks,
Lee
8 screws....???????? Lee.. I think your looking at the 8 screws that hold the 4 intake manifolds to the head. Don't remove your carbs that way. There are 4 clamps, one on each manifold....look underneath...you'll see 4 screws. One on each manifold. two facing on way and two facing the other way. Loosen these clamps and wiggle the carb set up and down and pull back and slide out. But.... they will only slide out after you have removed the airbox...and disconnected the throttle cables and fuel lines. Once the carb unit is out you will have easy access to the 4 manifolds. These usaully rot over the years and become brittle and cause air leaks. They should be somewhat flexable...if not replace. Use good sealer when replacing back on to the head. Any airleak in this area will cause rough running at slow speeds and also will cause popping noise will idleing down. Good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since that last post I have replaced gaskets in exhaust system - good chance to clean all the chrome and get in the front of the bike (whilst the whole system off the bike) and clean all that out, then (Hiker -yo the man) tightened up all those clamps you mentioned, then, whew....checked the gap on the points and ran it one more time - much better than it was - but still pops and fffuts a bit at low rpm - new set of points, plugs and condensers coming in the mail - then will get the carbs ballanced - each time I get a bit closer to it running great but what a freaking pain in the [email protected]@! I keep on with it coz when I take it for a run it is smooth, fast and powerful and just rides nice - I have one of those replacement seat covers coming in the mail and will post a review of how they are. Then a re paint job..................Kawasaki Red?
Lee

1 - 4 of 4 Posts