Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was supposed to look at a '74 KZ900 today but the guy who owns it wasn't feeling well. Hopefully I can check it out tomorrow. The guy who told me about it said that it has a "thing" on the back for stuff....a trunk maybe? Man, could it be a police model?? I've wanted one of those ever since CHIPs. Even if it's not, the guy only wants $300 for it. If it's in any kind of half decent shape it should be a good buy. Sure hope I can see it tomorrow....fingers crossed.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
The Police models weren't made until 82 and even the cop models didn't start until 80 I believe. If it's actually a 74 900 that would be a Z1 which can be worth quite a bit. The "thing" on the back is probably a luggage rack if it's a 74 but who knows. Good luck.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Actually, Kawasaki shows a 'police' conversion for 1975 Z1B...but not for the 1974 Z1A...it is unlikely that it is a Police model. What ever it is, for US$300, jump on it.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks. I didn't know about the police years. I think it would be a Z1A if it's a '74, right? Anyway, I can't wait to get a look at it.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
I was supposed to look at a '74 KZ900 today but the guy who owns it wasn't feeling well. Hopefully I can check it out tomorrow. The guy who told me about it said that it has a "thing" on the back for stuff....a trunk maybe? Man, could it be a police model?? I've wanted one of those ever since CHIPs. Even if it's not, the guy only wants $300 for it. If it's in any kind of half decent shape it should be a good buy. Sure hope I can see it tomorrow....fingers crossed.
If Its not the bike your looking for, or if you decide you want to sell it, let me know! Ill double your money!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still haven't seen the bike yet. I haven't caught the guy home..checked 3 times yesterday. I'll give it another shot today.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok... I got a look at the bike today. The tin looks good, the paint looks pretty good, the seat looks ok...no tears that I saw. The front fork legs are off for some reason, the tank has rust inside. It doesn't look to be rusted through anywhere that I saw with my quick inspection. It has a sissy bar and luggage rack and some kind of funky turn-out mufflers and some highway bars bolted across the downtube...just a straight bar. I couldn't get to it to kick it over and see if the engine was free or not. So... I don't know what to do about it. Could buy it and mess with it except that I have my wife's Jag to get fixed first. Buy it and have someone else fix it, buy it and put it on Ebay and see what it brings..... I dunno....gotta think about it.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
That looks like one of the very rare 1980 1015 models!
According to kawasaki.com parts diagrams everything is the same from 79-81, so what makes the 1980 model so rare?

I don't own one, just wonder why the 80 model is different.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you guys like the Lafayette Indian police bike picture, here is one with blacked out engine, which might be among the very first, but I guessing

Attachments

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
According to kawasaki.com parts diagrams everything is the same from 79-81, so what makes the 1980 model so rare?

I don't own one, just wonder why the 80 model is different.
The "cop" bikes didnt go into full scale production until 82. The cop bikes produced the prior three years were limited production models made for specific police agencies. Some 81s were fitted with the 998 soon to be J model engines, others got the 1015s. Kawasaki produced several versions of each engine in those three years refining the soon to be P bikes offered to any and all agencies in 82. The 79 and 80 bikes were fitted with the "Legendary" MKII engines that were and still are sought after for drag bike applications! Theyre rarity stems from limited production,(two years) and the fact that the "real" MKII engines could not be made available for public sales in the US because of emissions standards enforced in 80. Rather "ironic" and its nothing short of a double standard that some of those 1980 1015 cop bikes did not meet California or US emissions standards! Yet they were released to Police agencies who were only interested in having an "interceptor" version of what was at the time "The fastest production bike" in the world! The MKII!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ghost:

Good to know that you have knowledge of these Kawasaki cop (Constable On Patrol) bikes. How did you get this experience? What do you see in the attached picture? Thanks.

Attachments

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
I see yet another 1015 engine in a 79 or 80 cop bike frame. The front forks on that bike are rather unusual because the axle is trailing instead of leading or inline with the fork tubes. Those pipes are also unusual in that they look stock but not factory stock pipes for those years. I couldnt magnify the picture enough to clearly ID the carbs but thats a 1015 engine with the CAS heads which is indicative of the 79-80 domestic production models. This area is loaded with retirees from the Kawasaki plant in Lincoln. I bought my bike from one of those gentlemen, he's more than happy to share his golden years at that plant when they were building and importing the "Big Four" Kaws! They couldnt keep up with demand in those days as Kawasaki was considered the premier muscle bike and was still riding the wave of sales created by the Z1-900s and the introduction of the KZ-900s in 76. Thats to say nothing of the legendary triples that preceded the Z1! Kawasaki was setting the bar in those days on the street and on the track and for good reason...no other bike could touch them! Harley Davidson was struggling through those years and was loosing prestige and sales to Kawasaki for their "sport bikes" and to Honda for their still prestigious Goldwing! This is a fact that burns Harley owners today and I make sure they hear it when I hear "Jap Bike" comments from the v-twin riders. Kawasaki KZs and their legendary riders were made in America in the seventies when Harley sold out to the AMF corporation. They had to to stay alive! Kawasaki was way out in the lead in motorcycle sales in those days and other bike manufacturers suffered at Kawasakis gains. Even the British and other European manufacturers felt the impact that the KZs delivered! It took one hellofa bike to make the Police get off those Harleys and get on the bike that made legends! I Love KZs because they still dominate any V-twin, old or new! I had my bike at open house at the Harley plant in Kansas City(X-wife and daughter worked there) and was given the golden opportunity to display 30yr old "muscle bike" capabilities on their test track, NONE of their bikes,Screaming Eagles, V-Rods or even the Buells could come close to my 1980 KZ-1000ST! I left them humbled and their heads shaking! My $1400 dollar bike smoked their $30,000 high tech machines! I Love my KZ and would not trade it for any two new Harleys or Kaws for that matter! Thay are what they are because they are the fastest production bike ever built!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Zoro:

Lucky man to be a friend of all those big KZ experts. To add to your story, I was living in Illinois and hanging out in a bike shop in about 1977, and every one excitedly yelled at each other and ran to the front door and out into the lot. The Kawasaki mechanic down the street in another shop dropped by to give us a Z900 performance demonstration. I couldn't believe how that KZ900 schorched off into the distance so quickly. But I had just blown my wad on a left over 1976 Triumph Bonneville. Generally a mistake, but I've had a lot of fun with the old T140V.

Just to keep the thread going, I may be able to see this bike for sale early next week. Thanks, Don.

Attachments

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Wow, now theres your classic 82,998cc "J" model engine in the "P" model frame! Thats the bike "CHIPS" made famous or visa verse for us die hard KZ fans! Hey, If you can pick that bike up for $2500 or less, it would be a steal! They are the ultimate cruiser! Not only will that bike take you across the country, it has the capability to smoke anything on the road except the the late model rockets! If Im not mistaken, that engine would be one of the 102hp J engines judging from the TM carbs on it! They are monsters! Good Luck Don! PS. Those old Bonneville's are very cool bikes! Triumph still makes them and they still retain the retro 60s look with a disguised EFI hidden in Keihin carb bodies! Very cool!

·
Registered
310 Posts
The "cop" bikes didnt go into full scale production until 82. The cop bikes produced the prior three years were limited production models made for specific police agencies. Some 81s were fitted with the 998 soon to be J model engines, others got the 1015s. Kawasaki produced several versions of each engine in those three years refining the soon to be P bikes offered to any and all agencies in 82. The 79 and 80 bikes were fitted with the "Legendary" MKII engines that were and still are sought after for drag bike applications! Theyre rarity stems from limited production,(two years) and the fact that the "real" MKII engines could not be made available for public sales in the US because of emissions standards enforced in 80. Rather "ironic" and its nothing short of a double standard that some of those 1980 1015 cop bikes did not meet California or US emissions standards! Yet they were released to Police agencies who were only interested in having an "interceptor" version of what was at the time "The fastest production bike" in the world! The MKII!
I'd sure like to see a source for some of these statements :-D

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
I see yet another 1015 engine in a 79 or 80 cop bike frame. The front forks on that bike are rather unusual because the axle is trailing instead of leading or inline with the fork tubes. Those pipes are also unusual in that they look stock but not factory stock pipes for those years. I couldnt magnify the picture enough to clearly ID the carbs but thats a 1015 engine with the CAS heads which is indicative of the 79-80 domestic production models. This area is loaded with retirees from the Kawasaki plant in Lincoln. I bought my bike from one of those gentlemen, he's more than happy to share his golden years at that plant when they were building and importing the "Big Four" Kaws! They couldnt keep up with demand in those days as Kawasaki was considered the premier muscle bike and was still riding the wave of sales created by the Z1-900s and the introduction of the KZ-900s in 76. Thats to say nothing of the legendary triples that preceded the Z1! Kawasaki was setting the bar in those days on the street and on the track and for good reason...no other bike could touch them! Harley Davidson was struggling through those years and was loosing prestige and sales to Kawasaki for their "sport bikes" and to Honda for their still prestigious Goldwing! This is a fact that burns Harley owners today and I make sure they hear it when I hear "Jap Bike" comments from the v-twin riders. Kawasaki KZs and their legendary riders were made in America in the seventies when Harley sold out to the AMF corporation. They had to to stay alive! Kawasaki was way out in the lead in motorcycle sales in those days and other bike manufacturers suffered at Kawasakis gains. Even the British and other European manufacturers felt the impact that the KZs delivered! It took one hellofa bike to make the Police get off those Harleys and get on the bike that made legends! I Love KZs because they still dominate any V-twin, old or new! I had my bike at open house at the Harley plant in Kansas City(X-wife and daughter worked there) and was given the golden opportunity to display 30yr old "muscle bike" capabilities on their test track, NONE of their bikes,Screaming Eagles, V-Rods or even the Buells could come close to my 1980 KZ-1000ST! I left them humbled and their heads shaking! My $1400 dollar bike smoked their $30,000 high tech machines! I Love my KZ and would not trade it for any two new Harleys or Kaws for that matter! Thay are what they are because they are the fastest production bike ever built!
Just to set the record straight Honda lead sales followed by Yamaha. At one point in that time frame Honda had about 45% of market share before the tariffs bailed Harley out of obscurity. Kawasaki was at best 3rd or 4th in sales in those days.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts