Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing as a 900 KZ1? I bought a this bike from someone and they said it was a KZ1 900, I'm thinking it is just Z1. It is a '73 if that helps.

·
Registered
191 Posts
check the frame number, should be Z1F-0000something, your probobly right that its a z1. people get confused all the time on what they have. I used to get guys coming in all the time asking for yamaha maxima parts:).

matt

ps,what color is it? if its yellow you need to post pics :shock:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope it's brown, was yellow a special one or something?

and yes the frame number is Z1F-#####
it doesn't match the engine number of Z1E-###### though, is that normal or has the engine been replaced? I thought I read somewhere that they normally match.

Here's a pic anyway: (please ignore the ugly shed)

·
Registered
191 Posts
this is the yellow one

not sure if it was special, i just like it more:)

what is your engine number out of curiosity?

your paint scheme looks like a 74. was the frame number z1f-020###?

all the z1-900s were Z1E for the frame and Z1F for the case. unless its got some funky engine like a kz1000 in it which would be KZT i think.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
frame number is Z1F-41288
engine number is Z1E-040758

I just realized, could the F mean frame and the E mean engine?

·
Registered
191 Posts
from those numbers i believe you have a 75. im guessing the frame number is supposed to have a 0 in front of the 4.

im not sure about the letters , that would make sense so my guess is no :wink:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, I've checked and rechecked, there is definantly no 0 before the 4 at least not stamped on the bike. After my own investigation it looks to me to be a '74. from what I've found the S/N# for '75 started at Z1F-047500, also I don't think brown was available in '95, just blue and red. it looks to me like both the engine and the bike were made near the tail end of the '74 production year.

this is where i got the info:
http://www.btinternet.com/~bill.ashworth/zmodel.htm

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, no matter what anyone says now, it is officially a '74 Z1. I got a title for it today. I was suprised how easy it was to get a new title for it.

Also, I managed to get it running enough to ride it up and down the street a little, I really thought it was going to take me half the summer to get the thing running. Guess now I'm going to have to go back and get a plate for it too :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
im not totaly sure. when i was looking this stuff up for you i found this site
http://www.z-power.co.uk/Zhist.htm which is where i referenced the vins but its a UK site so there may be discrepencies. its tough because the same model here might have been different over there. i wish i could find more info on them. If you think its a 74 id go with that because you have the bike there and im not sure at all. any luck matching the engine number?

·
Registered
4 Posts
A little late but!!

Well I just found this page and saw this and figured I would toss in my
1/2 cent. I have a 1974 Z1 that was originally the same color as your picture. The engine on mine is without any doubt original. The serial number on the frame starts with Z1F and the engine is Z1E. The numbers
follwing are the same on the motor as the frame the only difference being the e and f. I would have to guess that since your numbers don't match the engine is not original.
As a completely unrelated side note, I am suprised how many of these I have seen labeled as a Z1 and when you look at the serial number on the engine it start with KZ. Why???

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i was under the impression that the Z series bikes were switched over to KZ series
bikes in the late seventies - but thats a good question cause i've seen KZ bikes being
called Z1's by some folks

·
Registered
4 Posts
My understanding of Z1 versus KZ

The way that I was told (not sure if it is completely true) is that the Z1's were 73 to 75. In 1976 the KZ identifier was used and the Z1 was dropped. Again not sure if this is completely accurate though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've worked on Kawasaki's since 1966,I did the first service on the very first 1973 900 Z1 to be delevered to the USA in 1972. I've owned (5) 73 Z1's (3) 74 Z1's and (1) 75 Z1 the way to tell a 1973 no matter if it's been repainted or not is by the carbs ONLY THE 1973 HAS 29MM carbs on it,all the rest have 27MM carbs! Also 1973 engines were BLACK some early 74s were too but only ones built in late 73 and very early 74! The engines in the 1973 had different cams then the rest also,but you can't see it from the outside of the bike! All 1973's had two colors on them Orange and dark metalic brown the tank was almost 50/50 Orange+Brown and the side covers said 900 double over head cam below the 900.. Your bike in your picture looks like a late 1974 to a very early 1975 from what remember of your paint sceme! The 1973 had the most HP and Toruqe of all the 900's Kawasaki made in the 1970's..I'll give you another tid bit about the 1973 Z1's They were built and shipped (by ship) to the USA in 1968 they were Z1 750/4s and looked just like a 1973 Z1 900. But due to Honda flying a bunch of their 1969 CB 750/4's over to the USA to beat Kawasaki to the punch! Kawasaki never wanting to be second to anyone turned their ship load of Z1 750's back around to go back to Japan. And spent the next few years turning the Z1 into a FIRE BREATHING MONSTER 900/4 and shipped them over in 1972 without Honda ever knowing about them till they landed in the USA.The old Z1 750/4's got sent to Europe and sold there in 1972 Kawasaki didn't want a baby Z1 in the USA because they know over here in the USA BIGGER is BETTER!!! (LOL) :) In anycase you have FUN with your good old 900 Kawasaki,their a blast to ride you'll love it I'm sure! :wink:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info, it is fun indeed. I had it up at my parents farm so I could work on it in the garaqe and just yesterday I rode it back to the house, about 50 miles. I pretty much just rebuilt the carbs and it started right up. It still has quite a bit of work to be done, but it's ridable. by the way, know any good websites for parts? dennis kirk seems to have a lot are there any other good ones?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's going pretty good. I had been riding it to work pretty much every day for about a month before I had to put it away for about a week while we were moving. I have had some trouble since getting it back out though. The first time went to start it after it had been sitting for a week it wouldn't start, it turned over just wouldn't start, this was kind of strange since before I put it up it would always start right away, even kick starting it only took one try every time. but this time it cranked and cranked and still nothing. It was late so I put it up for the night and the next day I tried again giving it a little ether. it started right up and kept going and never gave me another problem starting. SO.. I rode it to work this morning and it didn't have the power that it normally did, it didn't want to idle and you really had to get the RPMs up in order to take off with out stalling. Max speed was only about 60 MPH in 5th at full throttle, the pitch of the engine seemed a bit lower than normal. It almost seemed to me that maybe a cyclider was not firing or something. but I'm no expert. the ride home was the same until I was about a block from home then all of a sudden it kick in and run good for a second then stop again then start again then stop again and so on.. I have a feeling that if I had kept riding it was going to work it way out of whatever was causing the problem. It had done this same thing when I first got it running a couple months ago and while trying to figure out the cause it just quite doing it.

well, that's how it's going, I'm probably going to stop riding to work soon as it's getting pretty chilly in the mornings. I plan on tearing it apart and rebuilding everything over the winter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts