Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

KZ1000 Gas cap help

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  A2rider 
#1 ·
Could someone offer some advice or suggestions on the easist way to pop the gas cap hinge pin out on a 77 KZ1000 tank ? I thought I saw a way to do it described but I cannot remember if it was on this forum or not. The body parts are going for paint this weekend at long last.

Thanks

#2 ·
Well Andrew, what you have to do is get something that will fit in the hole where the hinge pin is, a 2" finish nail or something similar will do the job. Hold the nail on the end of the pin and gently tap the nail until the pin clears the hinge. If you care about the paint finish on your tank, you should place something to protect it under where the hammer will be swinging to avoid and paint damage. To put it back, just do the opposite. Hope this helps.

#3 ·
Thanks Andrew, that helped a lot. Came out without a fight. The tank is going to be painted, so I didn't bother trying to protect the finish, but when I go to put it back on, I will have to put a soft cloth there or something. Thanks again.

#5 ·
I'm sorry we couldn't help you. Glad you got it fixed. Please show us your paint when you get it done.
Again, I'm sorry no one stepped forward to give you a hand.
It's okay A2, Tina isn't it ? Like I said in the "traveling" post, it's snowing and I'm a little bored so I posted the solution as though I wasn't me, kinda like a tongue in cheek thing. I had an idea that's the way it would have to be done, I was just looking for confirmation. No big deal that no one posted. I've gotten so many tips from great people on this site that not getting a tip on that isn't going to bother me.

#6 ·
OK, just don't want you to feel ignored. The mechanics section gets so many first post, panic posts, that sometimes it's hard to keep up on them.

Unless it's something I'm concrete on, or someone who is on this board for more than just info, I just leave it alone. I'm tired of fighting with people who are only on here for free info.

#11 ·
Hey nice lady, can I have some free info. I promise that if it helps me, I won't argue with you or call you bad names. I might come back next time I need to ask a question. Huh canI canI canI?
:tongue:
There are a few on here I will help, if I can. My knowledge isn't always 100%, but I do have time on my hands to try and come up with the right answer.

Yes, I will help you if I can. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.