Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i tried posting my questions in kawi cruizers, but was redirected here. hopefully someone can answer my questions (or atleast some of them!) i have a 1989 kz1000 police model, basicly stock aside from paint and pipes. im wanting to change up the look of my bike but i have no idea where to start! id like to change out the handle bars, i know they are 7/8" but thats all i know! what can i swap them with? width? rise? i just dont know what will work. also, i have been playin with the idea of changeing wheels. any idea what would swap? or what measurements do i need to find wheels that will fit? lastly, i need some ideas on how to stiffen the rear suspension. i know the bike is set up for solo rider, but the previous owner installed a rear seat. im a big guy, 6'6" 275lbs, and the bike is fine, BUT when my wife rides, the rear tire rubs. the last (&only time) she rode with, the rear wheel rubbed thru my brake lites and shorted them out. so if i could stiffen it up, should be ok. thanks for any info!

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
You can take your pick of the different styles of bars as long as you get the 7/8" and the center width will fit in your mount clamps. One of the popular choices when getting rid of the mini ape hangers is the superbike bars. The euro style is very similar. You can see the superbike bars in the photos linked in my sig.

To stiffen up the back you could look at getting some progressive shocks/springs. Have you set the preload adjustment to the max for when you ride double?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info on bars, i can probably come up with something for them, they just look to "stock". but to be completely honest, im a fairly novice rider and ive never messed with shocks before. i wouldnt have the slightest idea how to adjust them. but the bike rides like a dream with just me!

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
If you look at the shocks right below the bottom of the spring you will see what looks like a piece of metal wrapped around the shock that supports the bottom of the spring. The bottom side of that piece of metal has notches on it that look sort of like stair steps. If you rotate that piece (they make a tool for this but I use channel lock pliers :oops: ) it will compress the spring in one direction and let off in the other direction. For riding double, you want to set it to the max setting for compressing the spring. That should help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sounds pretty simple! i know my wife will appreciate it! she felt soo bad! i tried explaining that it was just the shocks, but women can be funny like that! thanks for the info and ill let you know how it works!

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
If you got a tool set with the bike you may have the tool for adjusting them. It's shaped something like an odd looking question mark. Your bikes max load capacity is about 400 lbs of rider/s and accessories.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts