Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a KZ1000 project. what is the value of non running KZ1000s both standard and LTD Some corrosion but not bad both appear to be complete and can turn over motors 1 is a 1978 standard KZ1000 the other is a 1981 Kz1000LTD. The picture is me with my 1976 KZ900 in 1981-82 Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
986 Posts
Non-running, it could go from worth of scrap metal to very cheap. A non running bike is not worth much. It could be, if you get it dirt cheap and find out that what made it not run was something simple. That question is hard to answer. You would have to be looking at a specific bike, set a price in your mind of how much you will spend. Always bring the money with you. A wad of cash gets you a bike for next nothing, nothing talks like greenbacks, and a trailer, ready to haul it away. There's a psychology to this. I have purchased and flipped many motorcycles. A few I made a grand on just cleaning and getting to start, not run well, just start. A grand for an hours work is O.K. by my standards. :)

·
Administrator
4,457 Posts
I bought a non-running 1984 ZN1100 a couple of years ago for $500 CDN (around $375 US). It looked like all the parts were there. But once I got it home I discovered a lot of little stuff was missing. The engine and drive train needed no parts but it still cost me another $1,500 to get it back on the road.

Earlier this year I bought a 1984 GPz900 in running condition for $1,500 CDN. Hope this gives you some idea.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Last year I purchased a ZZR1200 '04 with only 4395 miles on it (yes, just looking at the bike you know it's the original mileage, most parts look brand new on it.. The person was selling it for a friend that was 6' 5" tall, and thought "this bike fits me". It scared the bejesus out of him, and it just sat for many years, in a protected environment.. The carbs were rebuilt, and the rest of the bike has a few nicks here and there, but is otherwise very solid. The motor runs like a beast. I paid $2400 dollars for it. I could flip that bike for tops, $5K. I have since lowered it one inch, with a "Soupy's" rear end height kit, have mounted NISSIN Brake calipers, and switched the front end forks to with later ones with rebound dampening. I am putting on Galfer Steel Braided brake lines, and have put in a set of Genmar Risers. I also installed a new set of Pirelli DIablos on it. I plan to put a double bubble windscreen. I don't know if that helps you out, but there are people out there who need money, or don't know what they have. It's not my job to educate them. I've already got offers for the bike, some are waiting for me to finish it, but I plan to ride it, not sell it. They think they will make me an offer I can't refuse, you just don't see these bikes with such low mileage. I also have a reputation with working on cars and bikes. I will be 65 in November, this is the last motorcycle for riding I will ever purchase. There are some great deals out there, have a wad of cash, and don't be afraid to walk away, but I always tell people, if I walk away, I won't be coming back, even if you lower your price. Usually I have to travel a bit, so they would have to lower the price even more before I'd considered returning. That's the way I do it, merciless. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts