Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the years of seat pans that interchange on KZ1000's? I have a 78 KZ1000 with an LTD style seat and I want to switch to a flat style.

Anyone want to get rid of one?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Good call ! 1977/78 KZ1000 A1/A2/A2A and 1976/77 KZ900 A4/A5 according to the parts cross reference list.

·
Registered
145 Posts
nice looking bike......i put a flat seat on my 78 ltd.....there are a couple of places that have them....american classics has a few nice ones....you could
try selling yours on ebay to offset the price.....ya never know....someone might get wood when they see your seat....so to speak...lol....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried searching american classics and it came up with a bunch of different sites. Could you send me the link?

To recover and buy new seat foam costs a ton to do, and it may not even come out right so I'm a little hesitant.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot, so I take it the seat looks pretty good too.

The first one says it is styled for 73-75 900Z1's, I would assume this is a different pan than my 78?

The one that says fits my 78 is $345. Yikes!

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts

The first one says it is styled for 73-75 900Z1's, I would assume this is a different pan than my 78?

Thats not a bad price for a new seat especially compared to a corbin or other high end seat mfg's. Theres two other options you could look into. Shop ebay for an old flat KZ standard seat and recover it yourself. Or shave the foam on the seat you got and fit a standard cover to it. If youve never recovered a seat before, Its a real PITA if you dont know what your doing. Im glad I did mine myself and I would do again knowing what I know now. But about 30 minutes into the job, I would have happily paid $400 for a new seat!:eek:PS. As good as your bike looks, Id go for the new seat! Youll always be glad you did! :wink:

·
Registered
310 Posts

The seat will physically fit, but the latching system is different for a Z1 as compared to a KZ1000...I picked up a flat seat for my KZ1000A1 (1977..same latch as your 1978 ) from eBay and recovered it myself. They do come up periodically but not as commonly as the LTD seats do (like your current seat).

·
Registered
145 Posts
first one fits...just change out the latch...5 min job

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keith1: Thanks!! That is the kind of info I was looking for.

My bike looks good but it is far from great, faded paint,chips, etc. The pic makes it look good I will admit but a little misleading.

Bike Info: Wiseco 1105 kit, kerker header, and some fine tuning with turdy 28mm carbs.

·
Registered
145 Posts
this the seat on mine.....just to be 100% sure before you buy, ask them if indeed it will fit....looks like the same exact seat i have...

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just called american classix and they said the first seat ($200) will fit the bike and the seat pan is even threaded for the U-bolt style latch. Awesome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts