Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok! I'm cheap, Why is it that you buy smaller shims @ $10.00 each instead of thinning up the ones that you have? It seems like taking a mm or two off would be the answer?

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
No, not the answer. How would you maintain uniform thickness? How would you maintain the temper? Those shims are very hard and very smooth surfaced. When you compromise a shims surface, you chance braking it and/or wearing a cam lobe. Most bike shops will trade shims even up or for a couple of bucks. Who wants to save a few bucks and chance blowing an engine? If moneys that tight, its time to park the bike.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I ground to size the under bucket 13 mm shims on my 1981 KZ550A2. I rigged a tool post grinder on my lathe and worked slowly. "Miking" the surfaces showed parallelism was maintained. Most likley these shims are through hardened and made with a through hardening oil quenched steel such as AISI 4130. But to know for sure you would have to section a shim and test for hardness along the section. Also, case hardening is generally used for big items like cam lobes, so the shims are probably not case. I am risking the engine, but I'm 95% sure I know what I'm doing. Since your KZ1000 has the cam lobe working directly on the surface of the shim, I'd be a lot less inclined to grind these.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. As for uniform, not that hard to do and you would only take material off the back side. It's 120 miles to the first kawasaki dealer and the only local bike shop didn't have any 29mm shims. I asked to see if it was a common practice or not. Have a great day.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Thanks for the replies. As for uniform, not that hard to do and you would only take material off the back side. It's 120 miles to the first kawasaki dealer and the only local bike shop didn't have any 29mm shims. I asked to see if it was a common practice or not. Have a great day.
Theyre $5.28 at Z1 Enterprises, just a "click" away.

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
I would think it would be doable to remove a slight bit of material without compromising durability since the amount would be so small it should not get through the hardened part. I was reading a bit where some were saying they took a flat plate of glass and put #250 and then #400 sandpaper on it and wet sanded in a figure 8. I think I would only do something like that in an emergency and since they are readily available there is no emergency. Now should civilization break down and you cannot get them ...well now you know how to go about it. :tongue:

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Well you might as well include the plans for drilling for oil and mfg gas once that civilization breaks down too. :lol:
When civilization falls, the only "shims" Ill be grinding will be called "horse shoes" Mankind arrived into modern civilization riding a horse, and will ride a KZ-1000 out of the collapes of modern civilization! Mad Max!

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
When that happens there will be plenty of gasoline left in all these cars as many people will die fighting each other. I have not seen a futuristic movie yet where they had to drill for oil. ;)

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
10% corn right now is screwing up the carbs so 100% would be a negative I assume you old *****. :lol:
Oh thats good Paul, thats just dandy!:lol: If you leave the corn in the jug until "after" you work on the carbs, I think youll find its not near as damaging....to the carbs that is! :lol: Ridgerunner!

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
When that happens there will be plenty of gasoline left in all these cars as many people will die fighting each other. I have not seen a futuristic movie yet where they had to drill for oil. ;)
You mean to tell me you haven't seen the mad max series?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glad to see some humor on this site. Checked with a small shop that said that he can get shims for $6.80 ea. and no shipping when he adds them to an order. I got two 1/4 ounce seals that cost 9 bucks last week and the shipping was $11

If you want to share some of that corn, I could use some help on the shim change.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Good thread guys. Who wants to open an ethanol thread, so I can explain why I call it ethylated water.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts