Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating buying a 1978 KZ1000. Looks to be in half way decent shape with 16K miles on it. Missing some side panels and needs cosmetic work, but it runs and drives and has a recent inspection until May. Guy is looking for $1200 firm for it. I would like to clean/restore it. I just finished an F11-B and i have the bug now. Here are some pics of the KZ.

Attachments

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I know it's possible to drag hard parts when cornering, but I think his tires will break loose long before he gets to the point of dragging case savers. But +1 on having case savers and the damage they will prevent.

While it might not be the best buy to be found, it sounds and appears that it wouldn't be a bad price to pay for that bike.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm contemplating buying a 1978 KZ1000. Looks to be in half way decent shape with 16K miles on it. Missing some side panels and needs cosmetic work, but it runs and drives and has a recent inspection until May. Guy is looking for $1200 firm for it. I would like to clean/restore it. I just finished an F11-B and i have the bug now. Here are some pics of the KZ.

mileage is great....how well does it run and drive?.....1200 can turn into 2200
real quick.i m sure you know that already......looks pretty good for the year........got bigger pics?....

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Id buy it! And you can count on spending at least another grand on tools, manuals,parts and upgrades. I paid $1400 for mine with 23,000 miles on it and easily have another $3000 in it, and that doesnt include all the tools necessary to perform all the work myself. Restoring and maintaining a KZ-1000 is not for the non-mechanically inclined and is no simple walk around the park! It does pay off in owning a piece of American Muscle Bike History and they still blow away any v-twin! Police forces across america still ride them for those reasons. Yup, Id buy it! Careful though, they easily become obsessions and can lead to "jails,institutions and death...not to mention divorce!

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,703 Posts
If you're looking to restore start looking for the airbox as soon as possible , they can be a blitch to find in good shape . Replace the battery immediately , a soft battery is the single major cause of a stator failure . And I know everyone is sick of hearing this but number one on the list is a valve adjust . Have fun , these are a beast but have a great following here with hundreds of years experience available on BTK alone .

~kop

·
Registered
310 Posts
Id buy it! And you can count on spending at least another grand on tools, manuals,parts and upgrades. I paid $1400 for mine with 23,000 miles on it and easily have another $3000 in it, and that doesnt include all the tools necessary to perform all the work myself. Restoring and maintaining a KZ-1000 is not for the non-mechanically inclined and is no simple walk around the park! It does pay off in owning a piece of American Muscle Bike History and they still blow away any v-twin! Police forces across america still ride them for those reasons. Yup, Id buy it! Careful though, they easily become obsessions and can lead to "jails,institutions and death...not to mention divorce!
+1

·
retro rider
291 Posts
I paid the same, $1,200 for a 76 KZ900 in similar condition with a lot more miles on it. I would buy it! 16k miles is a great find for a bike that old.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
case guards saved me big time, I now swear by them
Me too. It was to date, a one time thing but they absolutely paid for themselves and much more just from the amount of damage they prevented in the one incident. Not to mention all the down time I would have had if it hadn't been for them.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Buy the fine old KZ1000 and set it right. Then ride like a teenager in heat.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
562 Posts
Looks good to me. I gave $900 for a 1980 KZ1000 that was in very similar shape but mine was complete. I had another $300 or so in odds and ends and new tires but ended up with a darn good bike.

They are robust and reliable bikes and a darn good piece of nostalgia.

I say go for it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yah, you always have to be prepared to spend more money. Looks like a good price on a nice bike. I like the styling of that kz1000 bike. I think they are getting harder and harder to find in nice condition I believe. The whole blue book value doesn't make any sense with these bikes IMO, but use that to your advantage if you are buying.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm seeing these old KZ's bring some serious money nowadays.They're selling for huge dollars in the UK,and are rapidly gaining momentum here in North America.$1200 for a running KZ is a gift! I'd be tripping over my own feet trying to get to the bank fast enough! Finding side panels or any other parts shouldn't be a problem. Bring that beast home I say.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I believe Z1 enterprises sells painted tanks,side covers and tail pieces. These old bike have quite a following and even today can embarrass newer bikes and cars from a standing stop.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts