Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering heavily picking up a 2002+ police bike. I always liked the looks of them, and from what I have been able to discern they have a nice comfy seat, rock solid reliability, and can be had pretty cheap. For those of you that have owned these bikes - what has been your experience? Good, bad, indifferent? Regret selling yours?

I am looking to get one as a 2nd bike for around town use and light touring. I don't really commute - drive less than 5 min to the train station, but I am wanting to get back into weekend rides and camping off the motorcycle again. I know I could pick up a cheap Concours, or a VFR800, ST1100 or any number of other sport tourers or big cruisers, but they don't really pull my heartstrings as much. Never was a big fan of bodywork. I have ridden the big Vulcan 1500s, and an older Honda Valkyrie, but they never really got my interest that much either.

I loved my old Vulcan 750 other than it was a little tight to load up for a trip. Had to sell that years ago for financial reasons.

I figured adding a cheap top box in place of the radio box, or mount it further back to give me a better load platform for extra gear and I might be OK for the typical weekend run.

I do have a 93 ZR1100, but it needs some work to get back on the road. New turn signals (all the rubber stalks have rotted off and cracked into pieces), there is some rust in the tank, and before she got parked years ago the carbs had gotten stuck floats or something, as they were leaking gas on shutoff. Assuming I need to pull the rack and clean/rebuild the carbs, address the tank, fresh fluids, check the rubber bits so I have my work cut out for me. I always enjoyed riding it, and still plan to, but it has a little bit of a different focus for me than touring/camping.

I don't want to spend a ton on another bike either. With used police bikes in the $3k or less range that is something I can make happen, and still have the ability to wrench on the ZR and hopefully get it up and running by the fall.

Give me your thoughts. Should I even bother?

·
Registered
91 Posts
The J motor is typical KZ air cooled rock solid. The rest of the bike is standard stuff.....except....the ex police bikes only special area of concern is the wiring. After the police stuff is added then stripped then repaired / added to by subsequent owners it can get very messy. If you are competent with an OHM meter then great! I am doing a 87 KZP now from the frame up. My advice is don't buy a non-runner unless its under $500. Running ones go from $1000 to $2500. More than $2500 and it should be immaculate!

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My ZN700 signal lights rubber stalks all broke soon after I bought the bike in 2009. Rear lights were available on fleabay. I bought OE front signal lights.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My ZN700 signal lights rubber stalks all broke soon after I bought the bike in 2009. Rear lights were available on fleabay. I bought OE front signal lights.
Yeah I have found some replacements that are OE style so not too worried. Might try and update to something better, but in the end I will probably stick with what works.

Same thing happened on my old Vulcan too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did go look at it yesterday but due to timing I didn't have the chance to ride it. Sounded good started right up. Electrics seemed a little dim on the headlights. Pursuit lights swapped to clear driving lights. The turn signal switch housing needs refreshed or replaced. Signals were intermittent unless you applied pressure to the switch. No radio box, everything else was there though.

Hoping to go back later this week for a test drive.

Also found a 94 Voyager XII for cheap with low miles and recent maintenance. Hadn't thought about a full tourer but the price is right so I may check that out too. Wish I could get both but space and wife would say otherwise!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I wonder why the police bikes were air cooled? The Concours is water cooled and shaft drive and they go for cheap. I had a 2004 for a couple years but I didn't really like the riding position and the sport bike front end geometry. A Voyager should be great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts