Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of new tires. I've got a 1980 KZ1000E Shaft drive, with stock wheels(afaik). Can i get the dunlop run-flats that the KZ1000P bikes had? or are they incompatible with my rims?

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
As long as theyre tubeless and the same size I dont know why not. Make sure whoever does the mounting gets rotation direction,stem location,and balance correct! Check the bearings while you have the wheels off and you should also service the drive shaft and final differential while your at it! Good Luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently read that the "police run-flats" are not run-flats as one would expect from a car run-flat tire, which can run fine with a golf-ball-sized hole in the side.

The motorcycle "run-flat" tire in fact will not allow normal operation, or event slow operation, when punctured. They help to prevent crashes at speed by slowly deflating when punctured. So they dont really "run-flat" they just slowly deflate.

A Car's run-flat tire depends on the stability of the other 3 wheels to keep the tire on the rim. There is no such asset in a motorcycle.

I do not know how accurate this information is. I saw it on another forum. I could not find references to run-flat-tires on Dunlop's motorcycle website.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Oryhara's description of run-flats strikes me as being true. Pretty hard to believe that much motorcycling could be done with a decompressed tire, either front or rear.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
As I recall, the 'run flats' were the stock Dunlop that is listed on the microfiche as the tire for that bike. They were a thick sidewall tire that didn't fold much as deflated, and that was about all the technology involved.

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,708 Posts
If I had not purposefully taken a hole saw to the several pair of "Dunlop Run Flat" tires I've acquired over the year....

I wouldn't waste those worthless rim covers on a worst enemy let alone a customer . I can't remember a worse all around tire .

~kop

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.