Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
came from a barn a year ago. Frame & few recycle bins of parts... almost done now.. Started as a beat up GPZ and has been a colmplete restoration process. I have misc stuff, more clear-coat, carbs & brake lines to go. Eventually, I will put the FI back on after it is rebuilt over the winter & have to pick up a better fairing & an ELR style saddle
Color is Polar Pear White & graphics from Reproduction Decals to mimic the 83 ELR sold in Europe

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the color. It is a bit different.
Thanks.. supposed to replicate the 83 ELR that was sold in Europe.. No way to find the original white paint code, so I had a little flexibility there. You can't tell from the pics, but I actually laid down a couple coats of white pearl over the Polar White. Just enough to give it some "pop" but not make it look like it isn't original.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Clone all of those you want. (Great bike) VERY nice. You might not like those D404 Dunlops (they are overpowered by an 883 Sportster).

Anything that isn't a KZ1000R1 isn't an Eddie Lawson Replica.

REALLY NICE JOB.
Thanks.. I have really tried not to build something to put off as a true ELR.. That is one reason the wheels remained blacked out, where the gold would actually look better. I struggled with whether or not to change the side badges, but I figured it was okay since they say 1100R and it appeared to me that there is a gentlemens disagreement on whether the 1100R was a "true" replica anyway... The White with blue & red scheme was just perfect for me though and I wouldn't have attempted anything that would be mistaken for an ELR if I were not going to pay some respect and build the best bike I am capable of

·
Registered
407 Posts
Nice job ! Tastefully restored!

A great bit of info in regards to European KZ1000R2's being white. I didn't know this. Here's another tidbit of info that not many casuall KZ1000R folks know about. The original true 1982 KZ1000R1 was in fact called the "Eddie Lawson" replica signifying Eddies' 1981 superbike championship win. However Kawasaki officially named the 1983 KZ1000R2, the "superbike replica". Eddie Lawson actually jumped ship, and rode for Yamaha ? (I believe) in 1982. KZ1000R1's and R2's each had a unique gold commemerative sticker on the tank that in fact displayed this different info. I have a good friend who for the past 20 years had a original R1, and an R2. (I even had the nostalgic pleasure of sitting on both of 'em) :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Gents: Are these Dunlops really so bad? I only had one really bad set of tires in 40 years of motorcycling, considering the tire development over that time. But then I like to stay within about 80% of adhesion limits. I think it was a set of Dunlop radials that allowed me to haul down for a large dog that jumped out of a country road ditch. It was my best ever stop.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
Gents: Are these Dunlops really so bad?
The tires currently on my bike are Dunlop 404's. Having said that, it will be the last set I buy. Traction hasn't been the greatest as the rear tire has broken loose on several occasions. Once just from rolling on the throttle from about 20 mph, to pass a car. Now this wasn't a straight line as I had to cut left to get out from behind the car and then back to the right as I got into the other lane. I'm also not satisfied with the wear as the rear tire is completely worn out now and it hasn't been a lot of miles. The other thing I've noticed is the front/steering tends to be jerky at times like the tire is in a grove in the pavement or something and it's trying to follow the grove but there is no grove. Not sure how else to explain the sensation.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Gents: Are these Dunlops really so bad? I only had one really bad set of tires in 40 years of motorcycling, considering the tire development over that time. But then I like to stay within about 80% of adhesion limits. I think it was a set of Dunlop radials that allowed me to haul down for a large dog that jumped out of a country road ditch. It was my best ever stop.

Nothing wrong with the tried and true respected D404's, This is my 3rd set (differnet bikes) and they provide a great consistant grip. 404's are cheap money also compared to other tires out there. When it comes to a 25 year old STREET drive motorcycle, tires are tires IMO, and no brand or model stands out as better or worse. I tried severall different brands of tires, Maxxis, Dunlop, Metz, one tire I really didn't like was Dunlop GT501's the longevity was pi$$ poor, and those tires are pricey (but very sticky). However, you get a 25 year old bike out on the track, now you will probably notice differences in tires and draw different conclusions...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.