Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wanted a classic KZ1300 and finally three years ago I found two for sale as dismantled scrappers. I couldnt resist the challenge so I bought them and started on the restoration.

First thing done was to get everything that needed to be gloss black stripped down and powder coated, frame, forks, brakes that sort of thing.

I stripped down the engine and etch primed the cases before adding a basecoat silver and clear lacquer.

The paintwork I sprayed the same basecoat silver before applying Kawasaki Lightning Blue, silver decals and a clear coat on top.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I spent months on eBay looking for original parts which cost a lot to send from the USA to New Zealand, then the added problem of rechroming the exhausts and just about every nut, bolt and washer on the bike, hard chroming the fork stanchions and finally turning a round headlight fairing into a square one.

I love the bike and have spent many hours riding it, some say I push it too hard for an old bike but whats the point of having a bike if you dont ride it hard :p

Attachments

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Very nice. How is the clear coat on the engine holding up. I've been curious if a clear would hold up on the engine or if it would start to turn yellow. How many miles on it since the rebuild?

·
Registered
276 Posts
The big water cooled Z 6 cylinder was a pinnacle of power and displacement. A good worthy restoration. When I look beyond the bike at all the tools, you must have brought a lot of experience to the job. Pro mechanic?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stargate
"Very nice. How is the clear coat on the engine holding up. I've been curious if a clear would hold up on the engine or if it would start to turn yellow. How many miles on it since the rebuild?"

The clear coat is holding up very well, there is a bit of yellowing around 2 exhaust ports when one carb ran a bit too lean and heated up the cylinders, the water cooling helps keep the engine at a steady temperature Iv not tried it on an air cooled engine.

Kawpaul
"Should have taken detailed pics of this process. Would love to see that."

I'll have a look Iv got lots of pics of the complete rebuild so you never know. Basically I cut the round hole to fit the square headlamp, plastic welded new peices in to build up the edge, then used a plastic repair paste that remains flexible to smooth it all out.

wdhewson
"The big water cooled Z 6 cylinder was a pinnacle of power and displacement. A good worthy restoration. When I look beyond the bike at all the tools, you must have brought a lot of experience to the job. Pro mechanic?"

Yep I run my own shop and have done for 30 years, mostly car servicing, electrical, electronic diagnostics that sort of thing. my real passion is custom fabrication I just love building things.

zoro
"Awsome Bike! Good Job! I really want one of those "Sleeping Giants"! They make 120 stock horsepower @ 8000rpm! Id like to set one up with a jet kit, headers and pods, wouldnt that be "two hands full"! They sound like no other bike! I like the fairing too, it has the Z1R look!"

You will love my new project then, Iv chopped the frame up and made a new one, added USD forks from a ZX12R, ZX12R wheels and brakes (the rear wheel modified to take the shaft drive) Injectors from an 84 ZN1300, single shock on the rear from a Hayabusa and a Turbo from a Subaru WRX STi5 but a bit modified ;) Im just bashing out the tank at the moment then the rest of the panels. I'll take a pic at work tomorrow

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very nice bike. Those 1300's are very difficult to get parts for, so it makes a rebuild that much more of a challenge.
Tell me about it, Im having a hell of a time finding the last set of piston rings, I have 5 sets so far. Then I need 6 sets for the turbo engine or better still 6 GPZ750 turbo pistons because that will up the CC to about 1500 and give me pistons designed to be used with a turbo

·
Registered
276 Posts
One high mileage Kawaski 6 I know pocketed all 12 valves to the point that new valve seats had to be installed. I was surprised at this because I've always regarded the Kawasakis to have the best metallurgy. How were the valve seats on your unit?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One high mileage Kawaski 6 I know pocketed all 12 valves to the point that new valve seats had to be installed. I was surprised at this because I've always regarded the Kawasakis to have the best metallurgy. How were the valve seats on your unit?

The head on mine was perfect just a bit of cleaning up and refacing the valves before lapping them in, I dod however open the exhaust ports on the new head. There is a lot of meat that you can take out.

See what I mean!
With the forced induction I wont need to open the inlets but the exhausts should flow a whole lot more.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh man, you're gonna turbo it? That is going to be amazing. You did a great job!
Here is the Turbo Styreetfighter version, the headers run unter the engine as usual but then up between the engine and modified frame and into the turbo. The exhaust exits under the soon to be modified ZX10R tail section.

Ignore the tank looking like a patchwork quilt Im just playing with angles before I build the final version.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts