Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has been in storage for 10 years, cleaned carb and tried to start it, it's not running very well and backfiring occasionally. Thinking it might be something to do with the timing advancer?? The motorcycle owners manual says lubricate it, but it dosen't say how to do this! Any suggestions??!!

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
I use WD-40 liberally to wash out any dirt and corrosion on the advancer mechanism. A sliver of 250 grit sand paper to shine up the point contacts(just shine them, dont remove too much point material)and 1/2 can of SeaFoam per tank full of gasoline. A new plug will work wonders too along with a fully charged battery.:wink:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use WD-40 liberally to wash out any dirt and corrosion on the advancer mechanism. A sliver of 250 grit sand paper to shine up the point contacts(just shine them, dont remove too much point material)and 1/2 can of SeaFoam per tank full of gasoline. A new plug will work wonders too along with a fully charged battery.:wink:
This is great info...but where is the advancer?? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
behind of the cap on the points , on the lefth side of the bike under the gas tank , you must remove 2 bolts , and behind of the points have the advancer

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
This is great info...but where is the advancer?? Thanks
Hey Tyler, The advancer mechanism is behind the plate the points are mounted to. The points are behind the left cover. Heres a tip, you can go to Babbits online and click on OEM parts for Kawasaki motorcycles and follow the yellow brick road to parts diagrams for your bike :wink: Good Luck Buddy, and do keep us updated on your progress

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pulled off the left side cover and found the magnito and the electic starter drive...Should there be oil in this compartment???? I have about 2 cups of oil that drained out of this compartment.

·
2storke god 4stroke nub
26 Posts
im not at all familiure with the bike but sounds like you might have a seal gone if your flywheel compartment has that much oil in it im asumeing its a flywheel mounted to the starter cog with windings mounted to the case

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I must a crank seal gone. Almost all the oil has drianed out of the flywheel compartment. Where sould I look for this seal?

·
2storke god 4stroke nub
26 Posts
behind the flywheel u need a flywheel extractor to get the flywheel off its sitting just behind it the corect way to replace the seal is to take the crank off as u may damage the seal puting it in otherwise
but ... and this is not good advice but ive done it before and it worked
pik the old seal out with a screwdriver dont matter that u ruin it its allredy no good
just be carefull of the crank bearings behind the seal
then push the new seal; in verry carefully with a metal pole makeing sure u dont snag the center of the new seal putting it in tap it in with the pole verry carefully

the corect way is to compleatly strip the engine seperate the gear box and take the crank out replace the seal and rebuild but thats a big job and if u dont do it right u can do big damage

i have to advice u to do the full strip but its your choice your bike your money if you choose to not do the ful strip
most ur likely to do is damage the new seal and u gota buy a new one

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am not going to strip the engine, if u could tell me more on this flywheel puller that would be great. and thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have got the flywheel off and i was looking and there was a hole going from the oil tank on the right to the the flywheel on the left side of my bike. this means i don't have to replace the seal. does anyone know what the problem might be? i am going to put it back together and try a new spark plug.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was looking in the owners manual for what type of oil to use and it said to use SAE 10w-40 SE grade. i was wondering if i could use SAE 10w-40 SL grade.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE almost. my bike is runnig for the first time in ten years!!!!!!! :D
one more thing, has anyone ever had spare part from a keinin carb, i pulled two pieces from it and it run perfect.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
As a general rule, manufacturers don't put any extra parts in carbs. If the carb would work right without them, the mfg would have left them out to cut build cost and improve his profit. While on the surface, it may appear to operate perfectly, my money is on the "you just haven't gotten it to the failing condition yet" scenario. :biggrin:

·
Registered
111 Posts
i was having this same problem with my ninja 250 except it was idling at like 6k rpm's so i took the carb apart and sure enough alot of the jets were clogged and there was dirt in the bowls. and one of my float valves were broken so i am just waiting for the new one to arrive in the mail.. hopefullly it runs better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Js 3810 Is this a two stroke engine? If it is and it won't idle down, chances are you either have a cylinder base gasket blown or crankshaft seals leaking. Besides the obvious of a stuck throttle. Stan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts