Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
The 2 red wires come out of the dimmer switch. The blue power wire goes in. So you're sort of saying we still don't know if there
is power on the blue wire going into the switch?
the problem is I don't see the blue wire going in the dimmer switch unless I start ripping open the wire loom which I hate to do. if I knew where it goes to maybe I can test it. does it go to the fuse panel somewhere? is it a blue wire with a white stripe I see one nearby that comers out of a wire loom & goes under the fuel tank to the back of the bike

·
Registered
72 Posts
the problem is I don't see the blue wire going in the dimmer switch unless I start ripping open the wire loom which I hate to do. if I knew where it goes to maybe I can test it. does it go to the fuse panel somewhere? is it a blue wire with a white stripe I see one nearby that comers out of a wire loom & goes under the fuel tank to the back of the bike

Do you have a wiring diagram?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would say yes to the wiring diagram so you can tell what wires are going to the dimmer switch. You can than also check the operation of the dimmer switch with a meter with the connector for the left handle bar disconnected. You will know what wire is the power supply from the fuse to the handle bar connection and if it has power on it with the fuse installed and no power with the headlight fuse removed. An owners manual,service manual and wiring diagrams are a great help when looking for problems on any motorcycle. Before you start ripping wire harness apart you need to use the factory disconnect points and fine out where the wires are not intact.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I would say yes to the wiring diagram so you can tell what wires are going to the dimmer switch. You can than also check the operation of the dimmer switch with a meter with the connector for the left handle bar disconnected. You will know what wire is the power supply from the fuse to the handle bar connection and if it has power on it with the fuse installed and no power with the headlight fuse removed. An owners manual,service manual and wiring diagrams are a great help when looking for problems on any motorcycle. Before you start ripping wire harness apart you need to use the factory disconnect points and fine out where the wires are not intact.
I do see a blue wire with a white strip up front before some other wires exit to the rear & it seems to go to the rh control. there's a solid blue wire inside the headlight housing maybe this is the blue wire they are talking about?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
the guy who sold me the bike did give me a shop manual for a kz400 kz500 & kz550 I wonder if they share wire diagrams?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Start at the l/h grip switch housing and follow the wiring to where ever it goes. Into the headlight or under the tank until you find the disconnect point. The wiring dia. in the manual should be close if not exact. With the connector disconnected you can use a meter to check the wires to the dimmer switch on the switch side and for power from the fuse on the bike side of the connector. Both my 93 Vulcan 750 and my 82 GPZ The wiring disconnect is under the tank along the frame. My GPZ manual shows a blue/white wire to the headlight fuse and then a blue wire to the disconnect then on to the dimmer switch. From the dimmer to the headlight bulb the low beam is red/ yellow and high beam is red/ Black. The ground at the bulb is black/yellow. You will find the black/yellow from most items as it is used as a ground wire color on the bike. You need to check the wires with a ohm. meter not just try to find 12v from the battery.

A common place for wiring to be broken in where the wire runs past the tank forward mount point. If it is not in the correct position the tank will pinch the wires or cut them as the tank is installed.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Start at the l/h grip switch housing and follow the wiring to where ever it goes. Into the headlight or under the tank until you find the disconnect point. The wiring dia. in the manual should be close if not exact. With the connector disconnected you can use a meter to check the wires to the dimmer switch on the switch side and for power from the fuse on the bike side of the connector. Both my 93 Vulcan 750 and my 82 GPZ The wiring disconnect is under the tank along the frame. My GPZ manual shows a blue/white wire to the headlight fuse and then a blue wire to the disconnect then on to the dimmer switch. From the dimmer to the headlight bulb the low beam is red/ yellow and high beam is red/ Black. The ground at the bulb is black/yellow. You will find the black/yellow from most items as it is used as a ground wire color on the bike. You need to check the wires with a ohm. meter not just try to find 12v from the battery.

A common place for wiring to be broken in where the wire runs past the tank forward mount point. If it is not in the correct position the tank will pinch the wires or cut them as the tank is installed.
there's a large connector forward in front of the tank sort of tucked up halfway up the frame. I might be able to reach it & take some readings there. many different colored wires go into it....I bet if I removed the tank all would be exposed & then the problem could be found. I might as well just run the fuel down & then remove the tank which needs cleaning anyway...

·
Registered
45 Posts
You should be able to take the tank off with fuel in the tank. Kawasaki uses a vacuum controlled fuel petcock. It should have a run/ reserve/ prime position. No Fuel should run out with it in the run and reserve position unless the engine is running. If it is leaking without the bike running the petcock should be rebuilt or replaced.

With the tank off you should see the wiring connectors. There should be one from the ignition switch also. On the right side of the frame there will be connectors from the right side grip.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You should be able to take the tank off with fuel in the tank. Kawasaki uses a vacuum controlled fuel petcock. It should have a run/ reserve/ prime position. No Fuel should run out with it in the run and reserve position unless the engine is running. If it is leaking without the bike running the petcock should be rebuilt or replaced.

With the tank off you should see the wiring connectors. There should be one from the ignition switch also. On the right side of the frame there will be connectors from the right side grip.
i'm sure the problem is under the tank. I had an old Kawasaki bike & it had a similar problem. .the problem was a broken wire where the wires bend back & forth while steering. this bike is to unused to have this type of problem I blame someone tampering with it. I know the previous owner installed a stupid win shield moving the turn signals to a different location, so he might have damaged some other wires in the process...

·
Registered
72 Posts

It senses when one of the beams or brake light goes out to light an indicator and/or automatically switch beams. The auto canceling
feature, if it works the same way as it does on my Z1R, has a few pieces: One that bolts between the speedo and speedo cable.

It transfers the number of speedo cable revolutions to a turn signal auto canceling box (looks not too unlike the ebay item you
linked to) which in turn, is wired to that downward extension on your left handlebar control that automatically pushes the turn sig
switch back to the center after the set distance. Mine didn't work when I got it either but all of the parts were there and luckily cleaning the contacts fixed it. There was a lot of gunk inside the left hand control switch.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I did check the fuse box & there's power there at all fuses, so that's ok. I bet the problem could be found under the fuel tank which I'm going to remove the clean it out when I run the fuel down to nothing...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
what's weird is the front turn signals illuminate when I ride the bike. must be a wiring issue going to the headlight or something...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I did check the fuse box & there's power there at all fuses, so that's ok. I bet the problem could be found under the fuel tank which I'm going to remove the clean it out when I run the fuel down to nothing...

No need to empty the tank just to remove it. Does this mean you still haven't checked the blue power wire at the dimmer switch?

·
Registered
72 Posts
what's weird is the front turn signals illuminate when I ride the bike. must be a wiring issue going to the headlight or something...

I believe that CSR was designed with dual filament amber lights up front that act as running lights as well as turn sigs. Are you sure you're
not seeing the dim element of the running light bulbs while the bike is running?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I believe that CSR was designed with dual filament amber lights up front that act as running lights as well as turn sigs. Are you sure you're
not seeing the dim element of the running light bulbs while the bike is running?
well that's what I mean they work but the headlight is dead....

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
No need to empty the tank just to remove it. Does this mean you still haven't checked the blue power wire at the dimmer switch?
there's a large connector up front under the tank that I will get a reading on & I want to remove the tank to clean it out & will do this at the same time. if there's power I guess the next thing is to replace the lh switch which is available... I might have to replace it anyway seeing the automatic turn signal cancelling doesn't work & there's a solenoid in that box under the control which could be at fault if the module next to the battery box works & the problem is still there......

·
Registered
72 Posts
well that's what I mean they work but the headlight is dead....

yup. and who'd a thunk? those don't go thru the dimmer switch- not saying that's where the prob is but it's easier to check that than
to pull the tank and check a bullet connector buried in that plastic shroud.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
yup. and who'd a thunk? those don't go thru the dimmer switch- not saying that's where the prob is but it's easier to check that than
to pull the tank and check a bullet connector buried in that plastic shroud.
I might be able to get at that connector without removing the tank but the tank has a little rust in it so I have to remove it anyway...

21 - 40 of 46 Posts