Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my KZ440 torn down to just the frame and I'm trying to get it all into pieces so I can get it sandblasted and painted or powdercoated. BUT! I can't for the life of me get the swing arm axle bolt to budge! Looking at a diagram I notice that the bolt is only threaded for the nut on the other side... This leads me to believe that it is somehow fused to the axle tube thing inside the swing arm... The bolt turns when I wrench on it, but won't come out of the darn hole! Suggestions? Soak it in WD-40? Hammer the f-ing daylights out of it from the other side? Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
154 Posts
There's a lot better stuff than WD-40, I've had very good results with PB Blaster. Soak both sides throughly & don't even try removing the bolt till the next day. Soak it again the next day & give it a try. Some heat from a propane torch will help. If it still won't move you might have to get it pressed out. If you try hammering it out you might mushroom the threads.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am worried to try a torch because there are some rubber bushings down in that region and I'd rather not torch them in the process. I have WD-40 so I'll give that a go. I sprayed the crap out of it yesterday, I'll give it a shot today after work. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
A brass drift the same size as the bolt will work as the brass is a lot softer than the steel bolt.Get the largest hammer you can buy/borrow as it's going to require quite a few blows to remove it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yup, agree with Mike900. I use PB blaster and another 'break away' type lubricant at work. WD doesn't always get it done. Don't be afraid to use a little heat, you might be surprised that it doesn't always take alot. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'll just try the WD-40, let it sit and then try hammering it out with a brass object, like Mfolks said. If that doesn't work then I'll need to wait till I'm not so broke so I can afford some of that PB blaster stuff and a propane torch!

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Mine was stuck the same way when I took it apart for powdercoat. I loosened the nut up until it was flush with the end of the bolt. Then used a short 2x4 like a drift/punch with one on the bolt/nut and whacked the crap out of the other end with a 3lb shop hammer until it broke loose. Removed the nut and it came out the rest of the way pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I finally got the little bugger out of there! I put on a whole punch of WD-40 to both sides, tapped it out as far as I could from the threaded side then used a screw driver butted up against the bolt part to tap it out the rest of the way. There was some seriously sticky grease and a butt load of rust in that bad boy. Thanks for the suggestions guys! Now to deal with the kickstand bolt...

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I like using either "Kroil" or "PB Blaster" on stuck fasteners. A hair dryer on high helps by expanding the part so lubrication can get in.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
I like using either "Kroil" or "PB Blaster" on stuck fasteners. A hair dryer on high helps by expanding the part so lubrication can get in.
Big +1 on the Kroil! :wink: Liquid Wrench is a good choice too. The more it stinks, the better it is:lol:and nothing beats Kroil! :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts